• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake booster question

Mixed-up XP

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
I'm new to the FBBO family but have been coming here and reading different threads to re-educate myself on certain Mopar things for quite a while. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere in all the layers that has addressed this question. I am swapping over to disc brakes on the front and keeping the 10" drums on the rear. The car has factory power drum brakes. Can I use the booster I have now or do I need to buy one specifically for disc brakes? Also, seems to be a lot of conversation over dual vs. single diaphragm boosters.

Disc brake B body cars came from factory with a dual diaphragm booster. Usually Bendix. Some A-body disc brake cars came with no booster, likely due to lighter weight. I have sourced dual diaphragm boosters from late B-vans, because they are easy to remove. They are right under the hood on a right angle bracket and attaching nuts are easy to access.

P4080005.JPG P4080006.JPG

This is the booster in question. It is the single diaphragm that came factory with drums front and rear. Will this or the same style booster work on a front disc rear drum setup?

IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1327.jpg IMG_1328.jpg

It does not do the best job. Call doctor diff and get the bendix copy and be done with it.

Worth noting that many on here go manual with discs. That booster will work fine unless you want a really light pedal. Certainly lighter than manual drums but not as light as the dual.

Can always use it and change later if you don’t like it.

This is the booster in question. It is the single diaphragm that came factory with drums front and rear. Will this or the same style booster work on a front disc rear drum setup?

I used the same booster you have when I did my conversion over 30 years ago. Has worked great for over 200K miles, plenty of assist for my liking, and like Nate S said you can always change it later if you want another project.

Disc brake B body cars came from factory with a dual diaphragm booster. Usually Bendix. Some A-body disc brake cars came with no booster, likely due to lighter weight. I have sourced dual diaphragm boosters from late B-vans, because they are easy to remove. They are right under the hood on a right angle bracket and attaching nuts are easy to access.

View attachment 1094907 View attachment 1094908

Sorry to hijack. What yr van do you get them from ? I'm looking for something more easily obtainable, and smaller diameter for my 71 Fury. Preferably dual diaphragm.

Sorry to hijack. What yr van do you get them from ? I'm looking for something more easily obtainable, and smaller diameter for my 71 Fury. Preferably dual diaphragm.
Usually from late '80's and early '90's.

I remember a ‘73 Challenger with manual disks from the factory. It was a one owner car back in the 80’s.

Auto Transport Service
Back