• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake booster Rod

Hubbarocks

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
hi guys.
i feel dumb for asking , but before i brake something... should i be able to pull the rod out of the brake booster ? i can pull it out a few inches then i cannot get it out. i grabbed on with some vise grips lightly gave it a tug but wont come out. i thought i can remove this to get a longer / shorter one. maybe i'm wrong and they are not designed to come out ???

i'm installing a Wilwood Master cylinder i got with my front disc conversion kit. the Wilwood M/c has a fairly deep whole for the rod and comes with an adaptor to make it flush against the back if needed i guess... neither fit close. i think i either need a new booster rod or adapter ? i'm going to call wilwood on lunch to get some questions answered that are not layed out in the instructions.

brake booster.jpg

so... i was able to answer my own question. these are not removable. speaking with wilwood, you're supposed to cut that aluminum spacer to length.

I've got the same problem. My booster is a copy of the Bendix disk brake booster. I put an 4 bolt adapter plate on the front of booster to upgrade to a alum master cylinder. The extra space affects the positioning of the brake push rod in the master cylinder (not long enough). The push rod is adjustable, it just isn't long enough. The brakes work well with no rear brake lock up. The brake pedal just takes a deeper dive before it starts applying pressure to the front disk. The car did have the power front drums originally. I just did the Disc-O-tech brake upgrade using Mopar parts. The car stops with no issue other than the brake pedal travel. Not sure what's the best way to tackle this.

i did utilize their supplied spacer. i first made a dummy one for testing out of a wooden dowel and would take .02 off at a time until i could fully mount the master flush to the adapter. yes it took me about 3 beers to accomplish this. but mine ended up being 0.660" long. i think took that measurement and cut the supplied spacer, beveled the edge and worked out perfect.

mine is threaded on the end , so i had the benefit of fine tuning the set up , i had it within 2 full turns of the adjuster screw.

short story > try and make a spacer? the one they supplied was essentially an aluminum rod. I'm sure you can find something suitable at the hardware store.

hope this helps
~ Hubba

here is what Wilwood gives you as the spacer, just to give you some idea.

1655907961969.png

Reckon you're aware of adjusting the booster rod to MC tolerance?

yep , adjusted all the way out and still needed at least 3/8" to reach. the Wilwood hole in their pistons are deep (1.6" +) Tried adjusting the push rod all the in and was around half inch with their supplied spacer. that's when i knew something was off and started researching on BBO & called Willwood.

Thanks for getting back to me. I did buy one of the brake rod measuring tools that will give me the exact measurement of the space between the master cylinder actuator and front face of the vacuum booster. My brake push rod is threaded also. I just at the on the rod and still need more spacer. I like your idea of getting some alum rod and making the necessary adjustments. Maybe I'd be better off picking up one of Wilwood spacers if there are available. Tim

Auto Transport Service
Back