• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake conversion

Mopar69 Bee

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
1969 super bee
Looks like previous owner added disc conversion up front and drums in rear. Brakes look good and new but poor stopping. I noticed right rear cylinder is leaking which will add to that.
It looks like original master cylinder. Do I need a bigger/different master cylinder? Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers

IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1923.PNG

I'd contact Dr Diff. He will direct you to one of his master cylinders for disc converted cars.

Yes, the stock MC should have been 1 1/8 I think. Also the had residual pressure valves for front and rear, or at least mine did. After you press the brakes hard will the wheels spin freely after released? This would be in the air on a jack.

I would look to replace that with a 15/16 MC. I used one from Right Stuff. When I reasearched what MC to go with I never found one that looked like a stock drum/drum MC.

I bought a new 15/16 MC. Replacing rear brake cylinders as well. Any tricks to loosening the 4 nuts under the dash that hold MC in place? Do I need to remove anything in order to get to those nuts? Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers

I bought a new 15/16 MC. Replacing rear brake cylinders as well. Any tricks to loosening the 4 nuts under the dash that hold MC in place? Do I need to remove anything in order to get to those nuts? Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers
You need to be really flexible !!! LOL. I've read one of the top nuts is a real pain but doable. Search the threads. It was posted about within the last few months.

Deep socket, an assortment of extensions and a universal joint. wrap a little tape around u-joint so it doesn't flop around. Nut have a star washer so you can put nut in the socket to start them when installing new M/C.

Thanks for the advice!!
The rear brake cylinders are in. Wow..that was tuff! Some PB blaster and heat and the flare nut finally came loose
Old MC is finally out as well. I will install new one tomorrow.
Hopefully it all goes well.
Cheers

New MC installed today. I will bleed lines tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. Lol.

IMG_1947.JPG

Ok...so I've been working on my brakes and replaced both rear cylinders because passenger side was no good.
All went well with the bleeding process except for the rear passenger side. Nothing comes out when I try to bleed it. No fluid or air. Any ideas? I'm assuming I have a block in the line.
Cheers

If you loosen lie where it goes into back of wheel cylinder do you get B fluid? You don't have remove it, just real loose.

I ended up loosening of flare nut and pumped brakes. Fluid started to flow so I tighened it back up, pumped brakes again and loosened bleeder. It started to flow out bleeder. All good now. Thank you.

Will I need an alignment after replacing idler arm? I seem to have a positive camber now that car is off jack stands. Not sure why? I can take a pic tomorrow morning.
Thanks

No need for an alignment.

I'd bounce the front end before pic to settle suspension. If idler is same as the one you took off shouldn't change anything, IMO. If it's a longer or short I think it would affect the toe in or toe out, IMO.

Ok. I'll try that. I did notice that the shocks should be down about and inch. Maybe I'll take it for a quick drive.

Thanks for the advice. Car is sitting great now. I'll add a few pics tomorrow.
Cheers

Took the bee out for a rip tonight. Car ran excellent and front suspension sitting great. A couple of concerns tho??
1- speedo was working but would click every 3-5 seconds. Could that be the cable or the actual speedo?
2- gas gage would fluctuate from empty and go up to maybe a half then back down. I filled it so it should show full and it has a new gas tank and sending unit.
Cheers

IMG_1980.JPG

Took the bee out for a rip tonight. Car ran excellent and front suspension sitting great. A couple of concerns tho??
1- speedo was working but would click every 3-5 seconds. Could that be the cable or the actual speedo?
2- gas gage would fluctuate from empty and go up to maybe a half then back down. I filled it so it should show full and it has a new gas tank and sending unit.
Cheers

View attachment 498781
Glad you're enjoying !! Where did the clicking sound come from? The dash/actual speedo? As for the gas gauge, there's a current thread going on about that. Do a search.

Sorry, yes the dash. It clicks and moves like a second hand on a clock. It stays at the correct speed tho I think. I'll search for that thread.
Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back