• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake conversion

RLaw

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Got a 66 Satellite I’m preparing to be a race only machine. My passenger front brake is seized and I have no brake pressure on the pedal.

Trying to determine if I should rebuild the factory drums or do a disc conversion. Opinions?

You're a racer...weight is important. Are the drums lighter than discs?

I would stick with what you have. There is no weight saving to make it worthwhile.

Also with drums you can remove the self adjusting so you can lose any parasitic drag, something you can’t do with disc.

1. How fast are you potentially going to be going at top end?
2. Can the brakes you have now haul you down in the length of the track runoff?
There ya go...

Thanks for all the comments guys. The car sat outside for about two years before I bought it. So I want to replace the master cylinder and all the lines as well as the drum parts. And I’m wondering if it would be worth it to spend the money for the disc kit. I’ve read plenty about people racing on the drums so I don’t think it would be unsafe or necessary for weight reduction. Just thought I would get some feedback from the forum. The goal is to get the car in the 10.50-11.50 range but I have a long ways to go.

Disc brake rotors disapate heat alot better than drums. And if you get caught in the rain, the disc brakes will be a lot safer than drums. So with all the pros for disc brakes it only makes sense to spend the money.

I did NOT take the bait....I'm trying to let these things slide!
(although I don't have your reputation, I suffer mostly in silence)
And then we get this:
I would do the disc brake conversion as a piece of mind
Choose what piece you are referring to:
il_794xN.2401257640_2cpw.jpg

:poke: :D

Where do you want to spend your money? Fresh 10" brakes will stop a 3500-3700# car just fine at most any track. My '65 Coronet had 10' drums front & back and would stop from 126+ MPH at 3550#. I always used manual adjusters & cheap soft linings that I would "freshen up" occasionally with rough sand paper.
Now my tube Arrow at 2350# with Lamb 4 wheel discs could stop much quicker from 147 MPH, but that's 2350#.
My Satellite now has a conversion with '70 OEM discs with 10" rear drums. It does OK.
Pretty sure aftermarket disc conversion would work better, but worth the cost?

Although we know the disc will stop better, drums by nature of design, hold better which is huge if foot braking.

Although we know the disc will stop better, drums by nature of design, hold better which is huge if foot braking.

Agree, disc will stop somewhat better. Drum weakness is that they lose braking power after repeated use. I hadn't thought too much about holding power on the line when foot braking. Sure makes sense. I remained a "foot brake guy" with both my Coronet and my Arrow, even now with my Satellite. My Satellite still holds the line with the converter I use.

Auto Transport Service
Back