• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake fluid pouring out of m/c reservoir

69roadr

Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
took my 69 RR manual brake car out for the 1st time in about 4 months. got to the first stop and felt the pedal went way down. took it back home and proceeded to remove reservoir cover on m/c, and fluid just poured out onto my inner fender. couple of things i should point out is the car has fairly new front pads and rear shoes (i installed). could it be the flexible hoses that goes to each wheel, or something else with the brake system.

Flexible hose or steel line leak. Fill the ms and have someone pump the brakes. Should not be hard to find just trace the fuild. Make sure you get the brake fluid washed off of all painted surfaces.

Are you able to get a good brake pedal to activate the brakes? If no leaks in the lines, check the master cylinder seals and ports.

Are you able to get a good brake pedal to activate the brakes? If no leaks in the lines, check the master cylinder seals and ports.

no leaks in the lines. i think i have a bad master cylinder. gonna pull it out today and have a look.

"the car has fairly new front pads and rear shoes (i installed)." -
Did you remove fluid when doing the pads/shoes to make up for any that was added over the years as the pads/shoes wore down? Did you flush and bleed system after brake work?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Did you remove fluid when doing the pads/shoes to make up for any that was added over the years as the pads/shoes wore down? Did you flush and bleed system after brake work?
Inquiring minds want to know!

did all that. could be a stuck piston assembly.

Auto Transport Service
Back