• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake help and suggestions needed

rp23g7

Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
So everyone has probably read my "Steering and Alignement thread. My Wheel cylinder had been sticking, causing my car to pull to the right, then left as i hit the brakes.

I replaced both front cylinders, and bled them. Before i replaced them, the brakes felt fine, and stopped the car fine.

Well after i replaced them i drove it, and it seemed ok, the next morning we took it to the car show, it took it on the freeway and wen it took the exit the brakes were really bad, soft pedal and such.

We got home after the show and i bled them again, got some air out, adjusted them so there was slight drag. i did the rear also, adjusting them with slight drag. I took it for a drive, seemed ok, pedal was pretty hard and it took effort to stop, but i assumed it may need to break in again as i had them apart.

So this morning i took it to work, the brakes were really hard still,, they took time to stop, and the one wheel, the one that had the sticking cyl, sounded really "scronky" you know the sound that brakes make.

So i got home after work, and took the fronts apart again. No leaks, i scuffed the shoes up with sand paper, brake cleaned them and the drums, adjusted them so the almost spun freely and put them back together.

back the car out, forward and reverse, and the pedal felt the same, and it still made that "scronky" noise, dont know what is up. Oh i have manual 10x2.5 brakes

do you have the shoes on right?, the bigger shoe (more material) goes towards the rear of the car, I would also bleed the brakes starting from the furthest from the master cylinder,right rear,left rear,right front,left front.

if the shoes are swapped they can make noises,like you described.

yeah, checked the primary and secondary, i think the drums and shoes are glazed from the heat, and the heat may have ruined the springs. I ordered a hardware kit and i am going to scuff the drums and shoes when i replace everything and bleed it again.

So i replaced the hardware. I made sure it was for a 69 Coronet. The car had on it, a long yellow spring in the primary, and a medium black on the secondary. The kit had in it a long yellow, which i put back on the front and a short black, which i put on the secondary. I replaced them the way i found them, is this correct, or did the previous brake job person put them on backwards, or have the incorrect hardware.

Auto Transport Service
Back