• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Hub and Drum Replacement Help Needed

philcoradio

Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my front brake drums and hubs and I found that my drums don’t slide all the way onto the hub. I can wiggle the hub back and forth when it is lined up on the drum. The knurling on the lug studs is slightly cone shaped towards the end of the knurling and is keeping the drum from sitting on the hub all the way. Is there any way to remove these studs without damaging the hub? If possible, I’d prefer to have slip on drums and not have the hub/drum stuck together. Is there any way to do this? I have already bought new studs that are for my year car. Will the new studs allow me to just have the drum slide on and off? The new studs I bought appear to be the same length from eyeballing it. The new studs also fit inside the drum with very little movement. I have a “66 Coronet, 10” powered drums. Any help is greatly appreciated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Much has been posted and written on this site about this subject; using the search feature of the site
will reveal tons of experiences and information if you use it:
search box.png

Factory studs are swaged. You can get special cutters to remove, maybe grinding them and drillling them, and as the above post recommended search he forum - likely lots of good info on what to do.

Pull the hubs , remove seal , bearings, grease, ect. Clean and dry.
Now on the back side of the hub grind off the head of each stud.
Take 2 blocks of wood to support the hub. Take a punch and hammer.
Drive the studs out the front.
New studs can be pressed in or if you do not have a press use a oversize nut , couple flat washers and your wheel lug nut to draw them through.
Make sure the splines are lined up and press or draw them in flush.

I am in the process of replacing my front brake drums and hubs and I found that my drums don’t slide all the way onto the hub. I can wiggle the hub back and forth when it is lined up on the drum. The knurling on the lug studs is slightly cone shaped towards the end of the knurling and is keeping the drum from sitting on the hub all the way. Is there any way to remove these studs without damaging the hub? If possible, I’d prefer to have slip on drums and not have the hub/drum stuck together. Is there any way to do this? I have already bought new studs that are for my year car. Will the new studs allow me to just have the drum slide on and off? The new studs I bought appear to be the same length from eyeballing it. The new studs also fit inside the drum with very little movement. I have a “66 Coronet, 10” powered drums. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 1448015

View attachment 1448016

View attachment 1448020

View attachment 1448021

View attachment 1448022
Those stud look like rear axle studs. No splines should be sticking out. Correct ones would have a smooth section for swaging. What do old studs look like, compare them.

Those studs have already been swaged out, and were just forced out thru the old drums. Gonna need new studs.

You might try grinding some of the spline off so the drums will seat on the hubs. That worked for me on one of cars

And then, to add to the mix, Cars made in St Louis and cars made in Detroit had different studs. If I remember correctly, it had to do with the amount of "stick out" that is being dealt with. Er something.

View attachment 1448015

View attachment 1448016

View attachment 1448020

View attachment 1448021

View attachment 1448022
Studs seem like the wrong ones to me.

These are the Dorman 610-132 studs on 11” drums for my 68 roadrunner. Hope this helps
IMG_9428.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpeg

And you know this for a fact? Have you used them? Ive run through like 5 different studs and nothing is working for me yet. I havent tried these yet, youre sure theyre not too short? The stud holes in my hub measure .630, these say .650. Is that too different. This has been stressing me out.

I used them on my 67 Coronet with 11 inch front drums and they fit correct. 610-122 says it also fits 66 Coronet with 10" front drums. I also have a 66 Coronet but haven't changed studs to i can't tell you for sure. Looks like napa sells them. Might be worth buying 1 and see if it fits.

Auto Transport Service
Back