• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake ID please.

aussiewannabee69

Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what type of brakes these are and what year. The car they are in now Is a 69 coronet. Don't believe rhey are original. Looking to get new seals and pads and would like to order the correct stuff.
I

20211220_052830.jpg 20211221_180114.jpg 20211221_180122.jpg

They are slider style off a later model Mopar. Do some more research to find years and models.
Mike

Chrysler 1973 up used on A,B,F and many of the 80's Body styles rear wheel drive cars.
When buying replacement parts I just use a 88 Dodge Diplomat as a reference .

Yes everything I see points to mid 70’s. Rotor, caliper, etc.

I use 1975 Dodge Dart for replacement parts.

Original disc brakes for 66-69 Coronet was 4 piston caliper Bendix brakes with thin rotors, those are not them.

Unless you just threw things together to test fit swap the calipers side to side. The bleeder screw is at the bottom of the cylinder in one view.
W/O digging thru my stock of calipers there were two castings that differed where the inlet was in relation to the bleeder screw.
Also talked to Eherenberg years back about the spindles having any geometry built if somebody wanted the calipers in front of the spindle.

Seals and bearings have the numbers stamped or embossed on them. Bleeders are always on top or you will not be able to get all the air out of the system when bleeding.
Spindles may have been installed on the wrong sides as the calipers are supposed to be mounted to the front of the spindle not the rear.

front caliper mount brakes.jpg

Last edited:
There are different calipers with different hose and bleeder positions.

In the assembled photo your bleeder is on the bottom. I had the same problem on my car. To bleed I take the caliper off, put a block of wood between the pads, and rotate the caliper so bleeder is on top, then bleed them, and install it back again. It works just fine. The bleeder position is only important when bleeding, not for operation.

If you're using a sway bar, I think they have to mount on rear side so they don't hit

The 69 and older sway bar attaches at the very end of the control arm and The caliper can’t mount in front position.

True, pre 70 B-body with factory sway bar has fitment issues with the brake hoses. You can use after market sway bar or remove/relocate sway bar attachment bracket on the lower control arm.
Having bleeders on the bottom means they are installed improperly. Using varying methods to bleed the calipers is just getting around the fact that they are incorrect. The factory NEVER installed calipers this way.
You can just do it correctly and not fool with home remedies.

Last edited:
Having bleeders on the bottom means they are installed improperly. Using varying methods to bleed the calipers is just getting around the fact that they are incorrect. The factory NEVER installed calipers this way.
You can just do it correctly and not fool with home remedies.
The factory never did a lot of things, but car guys do their own thing. Like Green bearings and ford disc brake calipers on the rear of a 60’s car, You are welcome to do as you please.

That bleeder position doesn’t mean a thing when driving. It is only a factor when bleeding. There is nothing wrong with the bleeding procedure I posted above in post #8.

And it may actually help someone, which is what this place might be about.

The factory never did a lot of things, but car guys do their own thing. Like Green bearings and ford disc brake calipers on the rear of a 60’s car, You are welcome to do as you please.

That bleeder position doesn’t mean a thing when driving. It is only a factor when bleeding. There is nothing wrong with the bleeding procedure I posted above in post #8.

And it may actually help someone, which is what this place might be about.
Yup they could be upside down or inside out as long as there's no air in there, no one gives a sh!t

Well the spindles are on the correct side I believe. As the stamping on the are SP03 L is on the left and SP03 R is on the right.

Auto Transport Service
Back