• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light issue 70 RR

Highwaystar

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
No brake lights. Getting power to switch at brake pedal, all fuses are getting power, and all the rear running lights are working. Where do I need to look next? What color wire runs to the rear brake lights, that I can test behind kick panel?
All help is appreciated
T.J

Power in AND OUT of the brake switch? Do the rear signal lights work? I lay odds on the signal light switch.

Turn signals work, and white wire has power in and out of the column harness.. Their is power in and out of brake switch when pedal depressed.

do you have a good ground in the back?

do you have a good ground in the back?
I believe so. I checked it. Each housing is grounded to body. Would the running lights work without a good ground? Would both brake lights not work if a bulb was bad? I looked at bulbs, looked fine, but never know.

Brake light and signal light bulb filament are one and the same, why I said turn signal switch...

Does anyone know what color wire runs to the back to activate brake lights in a 70 RR, so I can see if power is going back?

Sorry, but if your signals are work and your brake lights don't.. and you indeed have power coming out of the brake switch up to the column connector then either you didn't reconnect the wiring correctly at the column connector, or your new switch is pooched or wired wrong. Signals working tells you the wiring connections to the tail brake/signal lights are good.

I just replaced the turn signal switch, so that's why I'm looking elsewhere..

If you used a repro turn signal switch, that is the problem. Lost my brake lights 3 times with those. Only thing that fixed it was an NOS one (or good used).

Yep, been there done that on a brand new switch. Slave in your old one to verify. The repro switches are a crap shoot, been that way for years. And just like the gas tank sending units, they won't bother to fix the problems.

Sorry, but if your signals are work and your brake lights don't.. and you indeed have power coming out of the brake switch up to the column connector then either you didn't reconnect the wiring correctly at the column connector, or your new switch is pooched or wired wrong. Signals working tells you the wiring connections to the tail brake/signal lights are good.
Ok. Ill look at replacing it again. Thanks for the information.

Update. I connected the key switch light plug (single yellow wire) to the harness that operates door buzzer, and my brake lights work. I believe I just needed to complete the circuit.

2nd problem I had. Step on brake and it draws on alternator, lights dim, etc. I disconnected plug (6wire) at kick panel and it stopped. No short, I could find other than the single blue wire that goes to gas sending unit. I unplugged it from tank, and solved the problem, but a test light coming from dash is still dimly lit. Would this tell me the gas gauge is bad, or grounded?
Thanks for any help. Again this is a 70 RR, rallye dash.

Auto Transport Service
Back