• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light issues

USatC

Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
so i’m working on wiring my rear lights on my 72 Satellite.
I bought a rear light harness from year one and ran it from the dash straight to my driver side rear light. No light out of it. Bulbs replaced. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Can get pictures later.

Trunk ground connected? Question? Why did you replace the original harmes without knowing what was wrong with it?
Have you checked the brake light switch or the turn signal switch? Have you checked anything?

Trunk ground connected? Question? Why did you replace the original harmes without knowing what was wrong with it?
Have you checked the brake light switch or the turn signal switch? Have you checked anything?
Turn signal switch replaced brake light switch no. It was eaten up by rats.

Why we allow those pesky alliens to remain is beyond all reason.
Power from fuse box to brake light switch then off to turn signal switch. If you have turn signal you should have brake lights.

Could be a bad connector also by the ‘A’ pillar where the rear harness plugs in?

Why we allow those pesky alliens to remain is beyond all reason.
Power from fuse box to brake light switch then off to turn signal switch. If you have turn signal you should have brake lights.
Where should the grounds run to? Don’t have rear turn signals.

In ’72, all tail lights are grounded through the bumper harness into the trunk, driver’s side, grey wire, ring terminal, 10-24 screw.

If you alligator clip the tail lamp housing to a body ground, you'll know if the ground is your problem.

Ground problem do you have any lights on the rear. If you have power to the brake light switch on one side close switch see if power goes thru the switch if it does like before use a clip from housing to ground this should allow the light to come on. Do you have a power probe tester its a great help to narrow down the problem.

That won’t work on a ’72, the housing is plastic. Would have to get to the sockets, pretty much have to pull the bumper to do that.
Good point, forgot it's a 72. Nevertheless, all the more so to check a good ground to the sockets.

Let's start at square one. What lights do you have, front and rear?
Your rear bulbs are dual element (low element, running lights & high element, brake, turn signal & four ways). That single dual element bulb has a common single ground. If the low/running element is working, with the proper illumination, your ground is good.
The connector oldbee is talking about is a six pin connector behind the drivers side kick panel. You also stated you don't have turns signals either. That would be the same high elements but two different wires from the turn signal switch to the rear, left - dark green, right -brown.
At this point it could be one of several things but if you have neither brake nor turn signal lights it's probably more in the wiring or grounding than the stop light switch itself.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1972/72SatelliteA.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1972/72SatelliteB.JPG

Let's start at square one. What lights do you have, front and rear?
Your rear bulbs are dual element (low element, running lights & high element, brake, turn signal & four ways). That single dual element bulb has a common single ground. If the low/running element is working, with the proper illumination, your ground is good.
The connector oldbee is talking about is a six pin connector behind the drivers side kick panel. You also stated you don't have turns signals either. That would be the same high elements but two different wires from the turn signal switch to the rear, left - dark green, right -brown.
At this point it could be one of several things but if you have neither brake nor turn signal lights it's probably more in the wiring or grounding than the stop light switch itself.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1972/72SatelliteA.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1972/72SatelliteB.JPG
I have front lights and turn signals up on the hood lights. Nothing out of the rear though. Any pictures of the grounds? I recently replaced my dash and gauges so i don’t think I got all the grounds back in place.

A
Ground problem do you have any lights on the rear. If you have power to the brake light switch on one side close switch see if power goes thru the switch if it does like before use a clip from housing to ground this should allow the light to come on. Do you have a power probe tester its a great help to narrow down the problem.
any pictures of the ground you’re talking about’s location?

If you have front light operation and nothing at the rear, I'd certainly go with no ground. Or, if that also includes things like the back up lights, license plate light, trunk light and fuel gauge then the six pin connector harness under the kick panel might not be plugged together.

So it was a ground that was keeping my rear lights off. Fixed it but now I noticed my turn signals dont blink. The front lights come on and stay on, no blinking.

What back lights are coming on? Turn signals will not blink till bulbs on both ends come on. Do the brake lights work? Do the hazards work?

Auto Transport Service
Back