• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake opinions / guidance requested!

BamaCharger66

Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
Hello. Recently bought a 66 Charger project. Started buying parts for her. She has 10 inch drums all of the away around. I discovered after I bought shoes, wheel cylinders, single reservoir master cylinder, that I have other issues. One of the front drums is toast. The others are okay. The rubber lines bridging metal lines are crusty. Then, I was unable to separate them from the metal lines. Additionally, I couldn’t get flow to either rear wheel cylinder.

So, now I’m shopping for complete hard brake line kits. I also need all of the bridging rubber lines. I need at least one drum. Should replace all.

This Charger is just a project. Non-matching number. Repaint. Etc. I really don’t want to get into the negative to far with it as it still needs several other things addressed.

Any advice / guidance is welcomed! If you know of a certain kit or have this stuff used, please either post here or DM me. Thanks!!

Drums are readily available at less than $50 each new; some are less than $40.
Any rubber line on the car is less than $10 and also readily available.
For lines, the usual suspects are out there (the car takes the same ones up thru '69)
for exact bent reproductions - but me, I'd be over at the local parts store fetching what
I needed to bend them up myself (they have easily bendable line in sticks available).

Get to Googlin' (or whatever online search engine you prefer) and hump it on over to
Rock Auto, too.

You can get new hoses and drums from rockauto inexpensively.
I already made the suggestion to put a 67 up dual master cylinder on on it instead.
10" drums are useable but you need to avoid panic stops. These cars are heavy.
I always use synthetic brake fluid in my cars.

You can get new hoses and drums from rockauto inexpensively.
I already made the suggestion to put a 67 up dual master cylinder on on it instead.
10" drums are useable but you need to avoid panic stops. These cars are heavy.
I always use synthetic brake fluid in my cars.
The hubs are still in the front drums. And yes, you did mention the upgraded MC. I’d already bought the OEM style so…
I’ve driven 60’s land cruisers with single cylinder MCs and drums all around. So, I’ll be fine. I just need to get these ordered, installed, and working.

Inline tube has everything and then some at very reasonable prices, I just bought the complete factory correct pre bent brake line package, all rubber hoses, rear end vent, and the duel master converson with cylinder and lines and block for 370 bucks. Every inch of line and every rubber hose for my 66 is getting replaced. Their lines have the correct bends and fittings and they even mark them so you know where they go.

Inline tube has everything and then some at very reasonable prices, I just bought the complete factory correct pre bent brake line package, all rubber hoses, rear end vent, and the duel master converson with cylinder and lines and block for 370 bucks. Every inch of line and every rubber hose for my 66 is getting replaced. Their lines have the correct bends and fittings and they even mark them so you know where they go.
@Skatpak, How long did it take to recieve your order from Inline? I placed an order a week ago, and so far it has not been shipped. Just curious...

I ordered a set of stainless braided lines for my 68 GTX two weeks ago form Mancini and they just arrived
from Inline Tube yesterday. Mancini usually ships stuff to me in two days! Inline must be backed up. Just
another note, My Stainless brake line kit needed to be tweaked in multiple spots to fit so make sure you
have a 3/16" tubing bender!

@Skatpak, How long did it take to recieve your order from Inline? I placed an order a week ago, and so far it has not been shipped. Just curious...
it took a couple of weeks, one piece was on bo so it took a week for that to come in, then they shipped complete. I have bought other things from them before, and they have always been great to deal with and shipping has always been good. If something is out or on bo it may take longer.,

it took a couple of weeks, one piece was on bo so it took a week for that to come in, then they shipped complete. I have bought other things from them before, and they have always been great to deal with and shipping has always been good. If something is out or on bo it may take longer.,
OK, thanks. I have never ordered from them, and was worried it might be a month or more. Of course, I need the parts NOW! LOL

Another concern. I did order new drums last night. I ordered new lug bolts too. I understand how to get those installed. I didn’t see any hubs offered through the vendor I purchased from. So, I plan on using the old just with new races, seals, and bearings. I bet it’ll be a massive PITA to remove from old and install in new.

Auto Transport Service
Back