• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake pad material

theman440

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Looking for input - what type of friction material is the best for a rear disc setup on a drag car? Something with good "bite" at low temperatures but resistant to fade

Organic?

Semi-metallic?

Ceramic?

Thanks in advance.

Metallic seems to work better on the factory style disc. I had Ceramics on my F body that runs about 125mph. It stopped worse than my 150 mph Plymouth. Race brakes are a different story. What are you using?
Doug

The car currently has the small late model factory front discs with organic pads and 10in drums in rear (standard shoes) I have no problem stopping the car but am building a dana for it and want to upgrade to disc in the rear. In my experience metallics don't work well when cold and on a drag car you need the brakes to work when cold.

the softer the material the better the bite.... vented discs help but most of youre stopping power is in the front... any thing would be better than 10" drums

Yup, the softer the material the better the bite but also fade faster. Stock disc brakes use semi metallic. You might try that and see. I used 11" drums with semi mets all the way around on a 10.60 car years ago and it stopped a lot better than aftermarket 4 wheel Wilwood drag brakes on a 9.90 car that was 400 lbs lighter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, I'm going with a compromize.

Auto Transport Service
Back