• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake pedal height: 68-70 Coronet Power Brakes

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
My car has 50 mil FatMat sound deadener, maybe 1/8" thick heat insulation and carpet over that. It is a power brake automatic car. I can just squeeze my size 9 foot under the pedal with the pedal at rest (full up position). I have a firm pedal which goes down about 1/8" to 1/4" when depressing the pedal.

In another thread about converting from manual brakes to power brakes in a 3 pedal car (standard trans) the guy was concerned that his brake and clutch pedal were no longer even. Dr Diff responded in that thread that power brake pedals tend to be lower than manual peddles.

My brake and gas pedal are about even. So, what are you guys seeing in my situation?

Last edited:
I have a 1971 Challenger and a 1968 GTX that are both factory power disc brake cars.
I always felt the pedal was too "low" so I raised it on both cars and find it much better.
My thoughts are raise it what harm can it do.

I've found on my power brake cars I can pivot my heel from the gas pedal to brake. On manual brake cars, I have to physically lift my foot up off the floor to get to the brake pedal, which is annoying and slightly more dangerous in a panic stop situation. All Auto trans BTW and size 12 boots.

beerestoration2019part2 430.JPG

Some of you guys are confused. I highlighted the fact in my original post that my car is a automatic trans with power brake pedal; no clutch pedal.

Wayne the Ramman Inc. (gotta remember the Inc.) answered my question. See the tail end of this short video.

Auto Transport Service
Back