• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake pedal return spring??????

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
Is there suppose to be a return spring on the brake pedal for a 64 dodge? Anyone have a pic if there is a spring on there?

Zack I just went out and checked my car and there is no spring.

Well I'm gonna put one on. The pedal just doesn't feel right, brakes are awesome, pedal feel sucks. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I have no problems with the pedal returning, it just feels squishy applying the brakes.

I will also check the rear brakes and get them adjusted tighter and then see how they feel.

Funny you ask this question. I would check your master cylinder.

I bought my 65' Coronet in 99'. The brakes felt great but the pedal just didn't look like it was coming all the way back SO, I added a return spring also. Drove it that way until 2010 when I changed the fronts to disc. While doing this I found out that the Master Cylinder needed a rebuild. I did that and the pedal now rides high and returns great.

It's a new wilwood 1 1/8, so I'm gonna try a wilwood 1 inch. Cant hurt nothing to try.

A smaller bore master will have less capacity for your wheel cylinders so you will end up with more travel....however, it should increase your braking power slightly.

I'm not sure if my teal Polara has one or not. But my brown Polara had a return spring when I took it apart. I would think the car would need a spring mainly to keep the brake light switch in the right position. If the pedal flops back and forth the brake lights would come on and off when hitting bumps.

Yeah, I'm bringing this threadback to life. The other day after my dad had to bring me some tools to loosen the tank and get the hot lead off the trunk pan, and yes, I popped 2 fuses before I figured it out, he said the brake lights were on the whole time as he followed me back home. I have screwed around with the lights staying on after I release the pedal for A LONG TIME and now its gonna get fixed or Im selling the car, lol.

Been searching the net for a spring and I've seen alot for gm cars, does mopar use one or not? Any help would be appreciated.

Just talked to a buddy of mine and his 68 super bee has a return spring on the brake pedal and his car has not been messed with. Also found out that the early trucks, 60's thru 68 and then hit or miss to the 70's had one, as with some of the chryslers of the same period. So they are out there, just gotta find one or get something close and go from there.

Took a little drive today and when I got home, you could smell the brakes, burnt my fingers on the drums and the rotors had a nice blue tint. Jacked up the front and the wheel would hardly spin so I took out the shoulder bolt on the pedal and the tires spun freely. So I backed off the adjustment on the rod and now the brakes work fine, but the friggin lights stay on. I cant move the switch cause it is a one time use only(new stuff on the rams) and I've gone thru 4 of those already and no matter where I put it the lights stay on, so a spring at this point is my next move....where is the for sale sign!lol!

Got a spring on the brake pedal and whaddya know, it works perfectly.

i have had no problem using an adjustable rod and fine tuning it.i was gonna say try converting to an adjustable brake switch(can go through same hole as original and uses jam nuts to adjust)but it sounds like the spring solved your problem.congrats!

Auto Transport Service
Back