• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake pedal to master cylinder rod problem

use2teech

Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
Hope someone can help.....used the scarebird front disc conversion and their recommendation was to use a 76 cordoba master cylinder, manual brakes. Didn't realize the bore would be so different from the stock master cylinder pushrod. The stock bore is over an inch but the new master cylinder bore is half inch. Anyone have an idea what to use to get from the pedal to the master cylinder ? The car is a 65 coronet with factory brake pedal

I'm not sure I completely follow. 1/2" bore MC???

I can guess that your existing push rod doesn't reach the piston for some reason. If so, whatever you do to lengthen it make sure it's done properly with good materials. This is not something you want to have fail. I suggest looking in junk yards for a longer push rod. Again, assuming this is your issue.

Thanks. Just to clarify, it's not the reach thats the problem. The bore on original single mc was 1 inch. bore on the new mc is half inch. the rod off the pedal won't fit into the new master cylinder. thanks

Don't know if this will help but I also switched to front disc on my 65 Coronet. I used the Jeg's kit. I replaced my master cylinder with a Master Power Brakes master cylinder conversion kit and their prop valve. Their add can be found in any Mopar mag. I need to paint it.

003-12.jpg

001-10.jpg

002-12.jpg

Nice set-up there Wedge5. Something I'll consider when I switch to disc brakes. Did you make your lines or were(at least some of them) part of the kit?

Nice background engine **** as well.:yes::yes::yes:

Thanks. Just to clarify, it's not the reach thats the problem. The bore on original single mc was 1 inch. bore on the new mc is half inch. the rod off the pedal won't fit into the new master cylinder. thanks

Just re-read this;when I replaced the (original) m/c on mine,the rod to the pedal was included. I just adjusted it out as needed. I'll take it your m/c didn't come with that. Hmmm;seems like it should have.

The lines from the prop valve to M/C came with it. I just had to finesse the stock lines to the prob valve(easy). The prop valve kit came with alot of different connections.

Hi, new to this site. Hey Wedge5, Do you happen to know the Jegs kit # you used? I am in a similar spot on my 65 project as you must have been. Thanks.

I feel your pain!
I just installed a power booster in a 64 Fury . The push rod is short and has the wrong end on it to connect to the brake pedal. Im looking for an end piece with female threads. Machine thread & the other end to have the large bore hole to run the brake pedal bolt thru. If you get any where let me know & i'll do the same.
I am thinking of welding up something ? But would rather buy a correct adp.If there is even something out there.
AL

M/C Push Rod

Gentlemen, If your issue is rod length, check out Mancini Racing's site--their online store--brake section; they offer an adjustable rod. I have it in my 65 Satellite--works fine. Good luck, Bob L.

To be perfectly frank. I DON'T KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS. I just found out that the booster is to be set a little higher then the original manual m/c. So i need to do that. If anyone has an original Power brake plate for a 64 fury. That would be nice . Otherwise I need to modify the manual one. Next the booster rod is threaded and too short,so that will need to be made longer. But moving the booster up will now cause it to be at a weird angle and need some other sort of adp. NOT just a rod extension!
ANY Help would be fantastic.
AL B

Anyone out there have any photos of the under dash area of a car with power booster. I need to see what I should do to convert my system.
Please Help Me
AL

Auto Transport Service
Back