• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Pull

Bob Jordan

Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
We had the front brakes done about 800 miles ago on the 64 Sport Fury. I don't remember a pull when we picked it up but now it has a left pull under braking. Gentle braking not bad but hard braking pulls pretty hard. No, we won't drive it until we get it sorted. I pulled the drums and took a look - nothing obvious - primaries are where they belong, seld ajusters are working. Might be come contamination from over greasing bearings. I can't see or feel anything in steering or supsension - strut rod bushings look good. I went ahead and ordered shoes and hardware kits and self abjusters - any other ideas?

Last edited:
Clean the shoes with brake clean and clean rags. Then do the same for the drums. Then go drive it and see if it changes.

what are these parts on the car? Shoes and drums?

Clean the shoes with brake clean and clean rags. Then do the same for the drums. Then go drive it and see if it changes.

what are these parts on the car? Shoes and drums?
Just did that but I'll install new parts when they get here before I try it. I believe the drums are original and the shoes were replaced 800 or so miles ago. Car also has new master, hard lines, and hoses.

Check the adjustment, maybe one is not adjusted up. This will cause uneven braking.

were all the drums turned? None turned? Was only one drum turned? This affects the friction.

if you have China brake shoes then they can cause maultiple problems.

any fluid/grease makes the shoes grab.

May need to get the shoes re-arched to
match the drums. Especially with foreign
made parts. Check the shoes you have now
for any burnishing or shiny spots.

maybe right side isn't working right
for sure, right side not working or left side grabbing.

another thing to consider when brake pull happens is the front suspension. Bad bushings causing a caster change when braking.

how is the front suspension?

Just went through this on a 63 Belvedere. Hard pull to the left. New shoes from Oreillys and turned the drums, good thing they well within spec. Problem fixed.

Measure the drums. .060 should be the max you machine them to and they should be the same size on both sides. It does matter on drum brakes that they match and should be replaced in pairs.
Asbestos was the norm for brake shoes back then and have different friction characteristics than current linings and may continue to be a problem.
You might try switching the drums side to side to see if the pull changes sides.

Just went through this on a 63 Belvedere. Hard pull to the left. New shoes from Oreillys and turned the drums, good thing they well within spec. Problem fixed.
Did you have the drums turned with the hubs still attached?

Drums turned, new shoes , good cylinders, little lube at contact areas.
New or like new hoses.
After that it comes down to checking the scrub pattern on the new shoes.
I seen my dad years ago sanding new shoes to fit the drums.

Drums turned, new shoes , good cylinders, little lube at contact areas.
New or like new hoses.
After that it comes down to checking the scrub pattern on the new shoes.
I seen my dad years ago sanding new shoes to fit the drums.
Just had drums turned and installed new shoes and spring kits and adjusters. The wheel cylinders, hoses, tubes and master are nearly new. Took a couple rounds of adjusting to get a good pedal but feels great now and stops dead straight. Thanks for all the help! Last question - do these front drium brakes self adjust in forward or reverse?

Last edited:
Just had drums turned and installed new shoes and spring kits and adjusters. The wheel cylinders, hoses, tubes and master are nearly new. Took a couple rounds of adjusting to get a good pedal but feels great now and stops dead straight. Thanks for all the help! Last question - do these front drium brakes self adjust in forward or reverse?
If it has self adjusters they adjust in reverse.
Glad you have it stopping straight now. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back