• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Question

Ratroaster

Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
Good evening to all. Does anyone have a picture or a schematic of the
correct way to install the brake pedal return spring on a '62-'65 b-body?
I have an FSM but I don't see any reference in there.

Thank you.

RR

When you remove them you put washers between coils when spring is stretched out. Stretch the spring and put washers in. Make sure you can grab them with vice grips and don't put in more than needed.

Edit brain fart thinking clutch spring.

Last edited:
When you remove them you put washers between coils when spring is stretched out. Stretch the spring and put washers in. Make sure you can grab them with vice grips and don't put in more than needed.
Fran,
Thanks. Thats a tip I hadn't considered.
RR

Good evening to all. Does anyone have a picture or a schematic of the
correct way to install the brake pedal return spring on a '62-'65 b-body?
I have an FSM but I don't see any reference in there.

Thank you.

RR
What return spring? Neither of my 65s has a pedal return spring, just the master cylinder piston return spring.
Mike

I agree with 493Mike normally a brake lever has no need for a return spring.
I have two Mopars and neither has a spring on the brake lever.
Probably the reason you cannot find it in the factory manual.

20170723_190448.jpg

20170721_132111.jpg

I'm guessing Chrysler decided to save some production cost by eliminating that external spring.
Mike

You do see and learn new things from these forums. I have worked on all sorts of cars over the years but I have never seen a spring system like the pic kryslerkid posted.

@khryslerkid, I saw in your thread you used gold paint on the brake, is that how they came?

I tried to simulate the cosmoline coating that was originally on the parts from factory. The best I could come up with was a light dusting of gold over the bare metal with a satin clear top coat. I didn't want the sticky mess of cosmoline and I didn't want it to rust either.
20170712_155736.jpg

When I used a drop light while taking pictures, the gold would be highlighted. In natural light it looks pretty close to what I was after.
20170719_125052.jpg

20180313_174558.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back