• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake question

Charger Ted

Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
Had my brake fluid flushed this afternoon, mostly because I did not know what was in it when I purchased the car and I did not want to mix brands and types. Start with a clean slat as it were. The mechanic is very knowledgeable about old cars having 40 years experience and several of his own. So far he has been spot on on everything he has told me. My car has the front disc conversion. As we were looking it over he told me that the line from the MC to the rear brakes is 3/16", and the one to the front brakes is 1/4". Do the conversions or front disc brakes require a larger line? Should the line be replaced with 3/16? The brakes have always been very touchy. Would this change give them a better feel. Couple of years ago I had the proportioning valve adjusted but we kind of settled on the setting that didn't grab so easily.
Did not get a chance to get get the car out for a ride today to see if I felt any difference from the fluid change. TIA for any comments or advise.
Charger Ted

66's with single master had a 1/4" from master to distribution block. Out of the block to each wheel 3/16". You don't say if you have a dual master?

Brake line diameter has no bearing in brake function/performance. It's hydraulics.

66's with single master had a 1/4" from master to distribution block. Out of the block to each wheel 3/16". You don't say if you have a dual master?
How do I tell if it's a dual or single MC?

A picture of a 66 master cylinder, you'll need to enlarge a bit.
Mecum 2017 kissimmee 3.JPG

How do I tell if it's a dual or single MC?

When you take the cap off
look if you have a single reservoir or a double
Double Masters were made standard in 1967
cars before 67 had singles
after had doubles
Double is much safer as if you have a wheel cylinder go out you dont lose brakes for all four wheels
you still have the fronts or the rears depending on where the wheel cylinder failed at

It is a dual MC. I am assuming not original as the car was upgraded to front disc brakes. The front line is 3/16 and goes to Wildwood proportioning valve then to distribution block. Back line is 1/4 and goes to the distribution block. Due to injury the other day I cant get under car to look further. Maybe tomorrow I will try. I also cant upload pictures. Gives me a security error. What goes there, others can. TIA Charger Ted

you have driven the car
does it stop? then its all fine
you mentioned the front brakes grab
turn the proportioning valve, tha'ts why its adjustable

One of my cars is an original manual drum car. I converted to the latter style Mopar power front disc. No need to change brake lines.

Auto Transport Service
Back