• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Shoes

Enzo Ocon

Local time
1:03 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some replacement brake shoes for my 68 Satellite sedan. I know it has the 14 inch wheels but I honestly am awful with numbers and do not know which specific shoes would work. Also I want to make sure the brand is reputable and am ok with spending a little more money for better quality shoes. Any suggestions? I have been looking on different websites and need them asap as I am going back to school in a month and want to replace the shoes before I go. Thanks!

if you can pull off the drum, measure the width of the shoes, then measure the drum to find size. most likely 11 inch drums with 2 1/2 shoes.

The drum specs will be cast/stamped on the drums. If you reuse your drums the maximum oversize recommended by the factory is .060 . Use bonded lining. Bendix, Raybestos, Wagner, Centric, Replace all brake hardware as well including self adjuster hardware for the rear. Fresh brake fluid from a sealed bottle. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and will go bad with time.The brakes are the most important system on your car. Do them right. You can do a brake service in one day. Get all your parts together first. Then have your drums replaced or resurfaced if they are still in specs. Machine no larger than .060 over standard diameter. Prefered is actually less. The drums should not measure more than this when the shoes are worn out. Not before you replace them.

Big Block uses
11" x 3" in the Front & 11" x 2 1/2" in the Rear....
Small Block uses
10" x 2 1/2" in both Front & Rear....

The VERY BEST on the planet is the outlawed, thanks to Asbestos Laws ---- N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes --- the softest, smoooooothest braking system known to mankind.....

Fortunately, for you and all others, I go out of my way to find N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ such that I have:
Your brake shoes, wheel cylinders, brake hardware, brake hoses, wheel bearings and seals, and BRAKE DRUMS.... All U.S.A. made !!!!!!
I would leave you my phone number right here, but due to forum rules, I will put it in a P.M. (how dare I be up front & honest !!!!!)
P.M. me / call me ultimately.... Yours, Craig....

You would be smart to not go onto the computer / internet to go Chineseum......(Wuhan specials).....

Replace all brake hardware as well including self adjuster hardware for the rear. Fresh brake fluid from a sealed bottle. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and will go bad with time.The brakes are the most important system on your car. Do them right. You can do a brake service in one day. Get all your parts together first. Then have your drums replaced or resurfaced if they are still in specs. Machine no larger than .060 over standard diameter. Prefered is actually less. The drums should not measure more than this when the shoes are worn out. Not before you replace them.

Thanks for all the helpful info! A couple more questions if you dont mind. When you say replace all brake hardware, do you mean everything from springs to wheel cylinders to self adjusters, or can i just replace the shoes and self adjusters in the back and be okay? Also, I have never gotten my drums resurfaces, is that somethimg my mechanic can do or do I have to take them to a machine shop or some other specialty place? Thanks again!

You replace what is bad.... If the hardware is good and snug, you reuse it... If there is slack, you replace it... It is not expensive.
If the wheel cylinders are leaking or seeping at all, you replace them... Again, they are not expensive...
If the brake drums have enough meat on them , you can true them up by cutting them, to true up the surface and remove any glaze... If your mechanic has a brake lathe (and the old school ones do...), He can cut them... If not, he will send them out to the local quality parts store that has a lathe... That is not an expensive procedure either... (Back in the day, we used to charge $ 3.00 to cut a drum -- now they are up to
$ 10 - $ 12 each...)
Yours, Craig.....

I’d be interested in getting my original shoes reclined for my GTX. I just had all the hydraulics stainless sleeved with the original parts. It’s a Hemi four speed car with 10x 2 1/2. I believe them to be original. Front discs.
D52BDEA2-AD3A-4252-9408-A0BA3A6E80FD.jpeg
38286477-46F0-480F-B62C-7E6CEDB55BC2.jpeg
74E98493-0CB6-4206-A4BC-9B7EEBC49D22.jpeg
3AB4C825-5160-478B-A231-B2598B1367A1.jpeg

Yep front discs are generally 10" drums on the rear. The way my Superbird is..

I have N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Front Disc Brake Pads for the 4 - piston application --- You DON'T want to be ripping up THOSE Rotors with this new garbage friction coefficient !!!!!!
And, I have N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Rear Brake Shoes for the 10" x 2 1/2" Rears...

Pretty sure, you can NO Longer get them relined up in
Canada in Asbestos.... EPA has gotten to you, too, eh ?
Definitely NOT here in the U.S.A. any longer .......

And, I have those ROTORS !!!!! If you do not have enough meat on your existing Rotors, you don't want a caliper explosion with those calipers !!!!!!

The fins are looking soft in one of the rotors. The other looks like a replacement, likely oem. So yes I would like another one. left hand preferred. I have oem pads.

Auto Transport Service
Back