• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brand name auto paints

moparjohnny

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
what brand of paint fbbo guys are buying to paint cars or have shops paint with? thanks

ppg

IMG-20171231-WA0030jpg.0 (1).jpg

Sikkens,Motobase. If you want a good but a bit cheaper paint, Wanda.

what brand of paint fbbo guys are buying to paint cars or have shops paint with? thanks
Most paints are produced by just a handful of chemical houses in the states, kinda like motor oil they just change the recipe for the customer, slap said customers label on it and off it goes.

I shoot many brands depending on budget of customer or project. PPG, HOK, Custom Shop.

IMO, the variance is the pigments in the basecoat. Depends on if you are looking to match or want as close as possible to the original color. But if the customer or project has tolerance on the exact color I have recommended different combos.

I shoot many brands depending on budget of customer or project. PPG, HOK, Custom Shop.

IMO, the variance is the pigments in the basecoat. Depends on if you are looking to match or want as close as possible to the original color. But if the customer or project has tolerance on the exact color I have recommended different combos.
like?

Well like I said, I have shot PPG, House of Kolor and Custom shop. It really depends on the car, the project, and customer budget. For example I shot a Grand National last year (they are all black) so there was little need to spend high dollar for basecoat. Instead we used PPG clear which is expensive. I typically keep clears to a few that I have tried and have details on dialing in my clear gun. Which brings me to the last point of equipment when spraying, conditions, etc.

Do you have a specific question or situation?

Usually Axalta or PPG for me. Easier to stay with one or two systems and have all the mixing components (activators, reducers, etc...). Start using too many different combos and it gets expensive quick.
:thumbsup:

Usually Axalta or PPG for me. Easier to stay with one or two systems and have all the mixing components(activators, reducers, etc...). Start using too many different combos and it gets expensive quick.
:thumbsup:

I agree

Well like I said, I have shot PPG, House of Kolor and Custom shop. It really depends on the car, the project, and customer budget. For example I shot a Grand National last year (they are all black) so there was little need to spend high dollar for basecoat. Instead we used PPG clear which is expensive. I typically keep clears to a few that I have tried and have details on dialing in my clear gun. Which brings me to the last point of equipment when spraying, conditions, etc.

Do you have a specific question or situation?
First, thank you for your response and as a matter of fact yes, I do have a lot of questions, this is some one else tread let send you a PM :thumbsup:

I use pof water at work. At home usually either DBC or Omni plus. The Omni plus is a great option if you’re painting the entire car and want to keep the cost in check

I use pof water at work. At home usually either DBC or Omni plus. The Omni plus is a great option if you’re painting the entire car and want to keep the cost in check
what about nason or restoration shop paints?

what about nason or restoration shop paints?

I have shot restoration shop paint and have had good results. My only advice would be to buy more than you think you need for proper coverage. I shot a 66 Chevelle with this paint and needed an extra qt.

Depends what what I'm painting? I've used Martin Senior, PPG, Dupont, Omni (PPG's cheaper line), HOK and a few others and never had trouble with any of them except some spilled gas lifting the paint with HOK. PPG products is what I use the most of, likely won't ever use HOK again, had more headaches with it than any other.

What colors are you looking for? Factory or custom?
Try these guys
TheCoatingStore-Com(1).jpg

I've used their factory color paint kits with great results.

factory dodge r6 red. is house of kolor clear good enough to use?

I don't believe the coating store has factory colors as you are asking about. As for the clear question, I shot HOK clear before and a lot depends on which product you are looking at and what gun you are shooting with. I have had mixed results with their older line, but the UC-35 worked well if you plan on flowcoating. I can't say that I would pick this brand of clear though.

HOK candies tend to react to UV and fade. I really like RM clear.

Auto Transport Service
Back