• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brand of products that you've had lousy luck with......

O'Reilly masterpro ball joints.
Broke after 30k. Thank goodness it was a 4wheel drive, axle held the wheel on. I Will never buy anything from Oreillys again under that brand.
20220228_134311.jpg

Last edited:
X2 on Gates belts.
Apparently they forgot how to make V Belts, serpentine belts seem okay. Anything V is junk. Industrial, agricultural, automotive, all have not given expected life, some were shockingly short lived.

Have a Maytag washer and so far so good but the water valves pulsate until they warm up I guess. The colder the wash room is, the longer they pulsate. Summer time, the time they do that is pretty short. They've been doing that for years and well, forget about fixing them, the replacements do the same thing. The old Maytag lasted for a LOT of years.

how old is that maytag? maytags were only made in one place newton ,iowa.in 2007 whirlpool bought maytag in a hostile takeover and closed the plant down destroying all dies and they hired a wrecking crew from kentucky that told me there orders were to dismantal every thing so a appliance could never be built in this building again.from 2007 on all maytags are whirlpools with a maytag sticker built in ohio

how old is that maytag? maytags were only made in one place newton ,iowa.in 2007 whirlpool bought maytag in a hostile takeover and closed the plant down destroying all dies and they hired a wrecking crew from kentucky that told me there orders were to dismantal every thing so a appliance could never be built in this building again.from 2007 on all maytags are whirlpools with a maytag sticker built in ohio
Thinking it was bought around 2010. Will have to find the receipt for it which I should have but from what I understand, this one was made in China? Next time I get it out of the hole, I'll see if I can find a label saying where it was made. I've had Whirlpool products in the past that were pretty good but it's been awhile.

Kinda sounds like me....
I got all my Craftsman stuff from 30 years ago (when they made decent stuff for us Harry Homeowner types)
and the only changes to the tool box here is when I go to a flea market and see something old and cool I like
(old "big name" ratchets, sockets and such).

Just snagged a "baby" Ridgid 8" pipe wrench that has to be 30+ years old - but practically new, sharp
teeth in the jaws and all - for $10. :)
When I first got married I bought a few garden hoses for a few bucks, didn't last. I bought two fifty foot Craftsman hoses 38 years ago for 30 bucks a piece, stupid expensive. I have bought MANY others over the years to reach every square inch of many yards and homes that I have owned and sold and to this day I still have those two Craftsman hoses. The were octagon in shape and after being dragged over concrete all those years they are worn round. To this day they are still guaranteed for life. If they go bad, they told me to cut the brass ends off and bring them in. They told me they have never seen one that old and would love to see them. Sears will be out of business before I bring them back.

They have a lot of the tooling for Maytag and whirlpool built in Belleville Il., My twin brother and several friends work at Chellar tool and die. Excellent work without a doubt. A few years ago ( not sure how long ) I was told the we’re trying to build over seas machines and it was an epic fail and they brought them back and have been very good quality since... Chellar also makes the dies for Chrysler trans parts, kitchen aid big old style mixers, York and Lennox and square D stuff.

Yep, which is why the Frigidaire/White/Westinghouse/Maytagandwhateverothermerged brand stuff is gone from my
kitchen. As for the "Lowes brands", he said specifically to avoid LG and Samsung and gave specific reasons why.
I always acknowledge expertise (after doing some follow-up on my own, naturally :)) .
For the "we're not rich" price range, we chose (his recommended) GE for stove and fridge and have been quite
happy with both.
The old Bosch dishwasher still chugs along (I've had to replace its' computer board a couple times;that's a
known issue with those) and there's a 30-year old (pre-merger) Made in USA Frigidaire side-by-side in the laundry
room used for keeping our sodas and water cold (and overflow frozen stuff in winter).

That's another thing I have bought by the truck load, washers, dryers, and refrigerators. I always leave them with the house that I flip or just sold to move to a new house. I know three of the LG refrigerators never lost the plastic taste in the upper ice makers, bottom ice markers are fine. Two bars still have the smaller, apartment size Roper refrigerators, one 13 years and the other over 20. GE and Frigidaire are still running strong, both over 15 years. Two Maytag's, a pair of washer and dryer, both took a dump at about 10 years. One of my lake houses still has all the GE appliances, over 20 years now. At my new house, I have a Kenmore washer and dryer that was left in my last house by this little old lady that I brought with me. The rest of the appliances in my new house are whirlpool, they came with the new build. Now my refrigerator in my new house is this kick *** GE 4 door Cafe'. We'll see how it lasts, for what it cost, I should be able to use it as a coffin to bury myself in.

Interstate buys their batteries from clarios and johnson controls mainly.
What alot of people dont realize is that..
Mercedes, land rover, jaguar, toyota, lexus, scion, kia, hyundai, honda, acura, mazda, audi, subaru, volkswagon, volvo, nissan, infiniti, john deere, bass pro/ cabellas, kubota, costco/ kirkland batteries all come from interstate we just put their sticker on them we also sell to porsche and optimas from clarios. Orileys buys from johnson controls as well. Here is the wall of labels that we put on the batteries before we send them out.

View attachment 1273559 View attachment 1273560
Not quite true. Interstate was OWNED by Johnson Controls, who sold /spun off their battery division to Clarios.
GE appliances is owned by Haier, a Chinese company. For you Frigidaire fans, they are built by Electrolux AG, a Swedish firm. Most appliances are made by a handful of companies.

This was because of the Maytag disaster called the "Neptune" washer... Bankrupted Maytag...... I had one, god forbid....

I was told by a repair guy.....
LG refrigerators have the BEST cooling systems
Loved my samsungs until my 6 year old frig and 7 year old front load washer died.....
Replaced the washer with a Speed Queen......

So far (of the legitimate complaints) my Champion plugs post has the most "agrees", apparently I wasn't imagining it.

Last edited:
Another one I forgot - Big O Tires. I will never spend another penny with that company. Bought a set of tires for my truck, thing bounced around like the tires were square. Took it back multiple times for rebalance, no fix, after calls to their corporate office and several trips back to the store to rectify the situation - nothing. Junk tires were not round (concentric with the rims) the left rear was at least 1/2 inch out. I endured it for as long as I could (not a rich man) When I replaced them with Pirelli's . . . smooth as glass. BTW the Pirellis dry rotted and fell apart at about half the tread life, wont be buying those again either.

Last edited:
Skechers shoes, buying for years for comfort that their foam gave, last couple pair bought at different stores and times, the foam is good when I bought them but cushioning gone in a few months

Another one I forgot - Big O Tires. I will never spend another penny with that company. Bought a set of tires for my truck, thing bounced around like the tires were square. Took it back multiple times for rebalance, no fix, after calls to their corporate office and several trips back to the store to rectify the situation - nothing. Junk tires were not round (concentric with the rims) the left rear was at least 1/2 inch out. I endured it for as long as I could (not a rich man) When I replaced them with Pirelli's . . . smooth as glass. BTW the Pirellis dry rotted and fell apart at about half the tread life, wont be buying those again either.
I surrendered on tires long ago. All the daily rigs here have Michelins on them and we've never looked back.
Never an issue, hold balance well, great in rain, smooth riding, quiet.
Yeah, they're expensive - but no other maker is even in their neighborhood of quality.

Dewalt sawzalls. The blade holder mech always breaks. Made in Mexico! The cost of replacement mech part is 40% the cost of new sawzall??? These 4 are all broken with the same problem! Even the new one out of box. IMO garbage product.

C1F5209D-EB24-4A98-A05E-33C72433BFB1.jpeg 659885D7-BBDB-4B12-BF75-1B84C1CA1CB4.jpeg 0F6BDFFE-422F-4C7D-9E78-5CE2AF373FB0.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back