• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breaking News: Rocket Car Driver Threatens to Burn Down Tower at Great Lakes Dragaway

haywire 440

Full Speed Ahead
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
As posted on C-bodies only

C109C617-734A-44F7-AE43-8924289786B0.png 8A078DD7-F78E-44E9-BC43-39AD08C66C9D.png

Man that is AMERICA!!!!! Here in California we are limited to a Prius and a Tesla revving their............well anyway unloading some lithium ions in a fierce battle to the local starbucks!!! Yeah man!!! Now that is some Commifornia for you!!! Lol

Man that is AMERICA!!!!! Here in California we are limited to a Prius and a Tesla revving their............well anyway unloading some lithium ions in a fierce battle to the local starbucks!!! Yeah man!!! Now that is some Commifornia for you!!! Lol
I’d put a like on your post but it would bring a tear to my eye.
Sad. It’s like the Old, Old public service TV commercial with the proud looking Indian (Native American) with a tear in his sad looking eye while gazing at all the trash. Please keep your strength.

I have a memory of a real hydrogen peroxide rocket car, (before they were entirely banned) at the famous old irwindale strip. Unlike the jet car shows now, this car was strictly trying to go fast. (at the time , the rocket car record was a full 100mph faster than the top fuel record). At the old irwindale, spectators would often stand under the tower, directly behind the starting line. This time , they were repeatedly warned to move! Some still decided they didn't want to.
Unlike a jet that has to warm up, a rocket car just lights a fuse and goes. Silence to 100feet of flame in an instant.
Ive never seen so many people run for their lives!
I wonder how many brunettes ended up blond for a while.

That era of cars, at those power levels, in particular the nostalgia Super Stock and the gassers, they ARE some of the BEST, most enjoyable to watch racing!
Thanks!

Gotta agree, Bio. I wish there was something like SEGA on the west coast. I'd start building something tomorrow. (Assuming my straight front axle opel wont meet the rules.)

Unfortunately, I've never seen ANY F.A.S.T racers down south, they always seem to be in the states like Michigan, and around there. If any state outside of "typically American auto manufacturers" area should have nostalgia SS and F.A.S.T. racing, California seems like the obvious choice.

I had done a story on this Rettig Bros. combo ‘64 D-500 and ‘63 Belvedere a while back. It was at the Chicago World of Wheels.
AB5FE9FE-D83A-4E7B-BBF0-E919FD4538A3.png
Here’s a few other shots including one from the movie “More American Graffiti” that the ‘63 was in!! The Omaha Orange paint, on both vehicles, is 41 years old.

065A88BE-A067-43F6-9CF0-05976AA95979.png 83024FEA-BEA2-4EAE-B987-96DD2E72A6E6.jpeg 7ABC5996-2CD3-40C5-B52B-5C5B3D584840.jpeg View attachment 1002443

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back