• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brewzer '67 Coronet build...

Brewzer67

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
I figured it might be time to start a build thread on my Coronet to document my build and hopefully help some people avoid a bunch of the headaches I have encountered along the way. I'll start with today's adventure and work my way back.
Today's adventure was the install of a new S60 Dana. It definitely is a job best done by two people but I managed it on my own. I ordered it from Doctor Diff with some custom tweaks. The '67s are notorious for the driver side wheel well being tight. To buy myself a little room I had it made 1-1/2" narrower which worked out great. Now my 275-60x15's will fit without rubbing. That's the good news. The bad news is that I ordered it with the heavy duty LPW girdle rear cover which won't clear the gas tank. So now I've got a regular cover on the way. Cass said he never heard of anyone else having this issue so I figured I would share. Bummer because now I have to wait before I can order the drive shaft.
Here's a few pics:

IMG_20180530_151334.jpg IMG_20180530_140157.jpg

The other part of the build for today was changing over to 1/2" pickup fuel sending unit. For years the biggest you could get for the '66 and '67's was 3/8". When I bumped up to a Clay Smith 140 gph mechanical pump a few years back I plumbed the entire system with 1/2" except the first two feet off the tank. I did that with 3/8's which has been sufficient. With the switch to the Trick Flow 270's and the .715 solid roller, I don't think the small line would cut it anymore. I also put a fitting in place on the sending unit where I can add a return line down the road if I need to. I figured it was way easier to put it there now with the rear end out.

I like the "braced" rear diff covers. I have a "bling" chrome rear cover on my Dana 60 that I got on clearance from Mancini. Real pretty, but I like the idea of added strength to an already bulletproof rear end.
The blue "strobe stripes" are cool. Reminds me of my 79 R/T.
20180531_205353.jpg

Sweet looking ride! I am a big fan of the stripes. I have had my car for 32 years and a few different paint jobs and they all have had stripes. They drive a friend of mine crazy because he says they make the car look 80's dated. I just won a best in class two weeks ago so clearly others like it.

The other part of the build for today was changing over to 1/2" pickup fuel sending unit. For years the biggest you could get for the '66 and '67's was 3/8". When I bumped up to a Clay Smith 140 gph mechanical pump a few years back I plumbed the entire system with 1/2" except the first two feet off the tank. I did that with 3/8's which has been sufficient. With the switch to the Trick Flow 270's and the .715 solid roller, I don't think the small line would cut it anymore. I also put a fitting in place on the sending unit where I can add a return line down the road if I need to. I figured it was way easier to put it there now with the rear end out.
Would 5/16 be stock fuel TANK to pump supply line size for a 70 440 6bbl Roadrunner? If so, I am thinking about getting the stainless steel 3/8 line from Dante's Mopar parts (or anyone have a better source?) since I'm changing to the Carter M6903 high flow pump and bought ALL of the Promax 6 bbl carb upgrades, including the 3/8" lower and upper stainless braided fuel lines, I figure the 3/8 supply line would eliminate the last potential "weakest" link.

Nice upgrade to your sweet ride. Unfortunately setbacks are part of this hobby. You won’t even think about them when your driving down the road.

Would 5/16 be stock fuel TANK to pump supply line size for a 70 440 6bbl Roadrunner? If so, I am thinking about getting the stainless steel 3/8 line from Dante's Mopar parts (or anyone have a better source?) since I'm changing to the Carter M6903 high flow pump and bought ALL of the Promax 6 bbl carb upgrades, including the 3/8" lower and upper stainless braided fuel lines, I figure the 3/8 supply line would eliminate the last potential "weakest" link.
if it came with a 440 6bbl, it should have 3/8 line already

if it came with a 440 6bbl, it should have 3/8 line already
I was thinking that may be the case. It is a real V-code Roadrunner. I guess the Hemi equipped cars had 3/8 fuel supply line too?

My car runs 9.0 with 1.25 69ft @ 3340#. Dana 60 street gear with the stock cover. First gear set went 450 passes before it got noisy, never broke. On a set of Dr Diff street gears now. 75 passes and counting.
Doug

My car runs 9.0 with 1.25 69ft @ 3340#. Dana 60 street gear with the stock cover. First gear set went 450 passes before it got noisy, never broke. On a set of Dr Diff street gears now. 75 passes and counting.
Doug
I have been blessed so far with no issues. The majority of the runs on the old rear end were when it was running high 11's/low 12's with just a few 10 second runs. I don't want to push my luck though, hence the switch.

I'm not worried about breaking anything in the Dana 60, but for the price, and considering the stress that a 70 Roadrunner 440 w/my 260# added in, along with hammering it with a 3rd pedal transmission, why not? Looks "tuff" too...

I run just a 3/8 fuel line with a 3/8 sending unit in my stock fuel tank. So far its been fine with no running out of fuel issue's on the top end. I only wanted to run mid to high 10's and only run an 850 DP carb. If I wanted to run faster with a dominator or dual carbs I would have went with the 1/2" fuel system. I may go for mid to lower 10's sometime down the road and then I may be pushing the limits of the 3/8 system. Good luck with your cool build. Ron

I run just a 3/8 fuel line with a 3/8 sending unit in my stock fuel tank. So far its been fine with no running out of fuel issue's on the top end. I only wanted to run mid to high 10's and only run an 850 DP carb. If I wanted to run faster with a dominator or dual carbs I would have went with the 1/2" fuel system. I may go for mid to lower 10's sometime down the road and then I may be pushing the limits of the 3/8 system. Good luck with your cool build. Ron
You're exactly where I was. I only wanted to run mid to high 10's but now a 9.99 is my destination. I was one of the first in my area many years back to be running a true naturally aspirated 10 second street car (3-5K miles per Wisconsin car season) with a smallish carb (750 DP w/Weber power plates). Now my goal is to be able to say the same thing except I want a 9 second street car! The laws of physics say that won't likely happen with 3/8" line...possible, but not likely without some possible damage from running lean.

Ok, so my next "almost" goof...
I dropped the driveshaft off to be shortened and they said it would be ready Monday night. They call back an hour later to ask about the U-joint. I had specified Spicer without a grease fitting. They called because the existing joint was a 7290 instead of a 7260 which was out of the norm for a '67 Coronet driveshaft. Good catch by them and a money saver for me. The Dana has a 1350 yoke so if they had just shortened it without asking questions I would have had to get a whole new shaft made. Or I could have used a hybrid u-joint but that wouldn't have been preferred. I have also decided to get rid of the flowmasters as long as I have it up on the lift. It's back to Borla's for me. I loved my 2-1/2" and hope the 3" sound as good.

I use the Dyno-Max Ultra-Flows because I race through my full exh and the Ultra-Flows are basically a straight through muffler and I wanted good flowing mufflers since I race through them. And it actually sounds very nice to me with the 2" TTI headers and their full 3" exh. I also like the fact I run my exh to the rear bumper as I don't get any drone like I have on some cars when I dumped the exh at the rear diff. Ron

Don't know if this video will work but if it does it has a spot where you can hear my car idling at the back of the car. Ron

So I got the new cover for the rear end yesterday and it doesn't fit either! Aarghh :wtf:

Everything else measures out fine so the only conclusion I can come to is that the replacement gas tank I put in years back doesn't quite measure the same as the factory tank. I was able to get things to fit by coercing the tank a little with a 1x6 but it was not my preferred fix. I now have to hope that it doesn't "uncoerce" itself when I fill the tank and start driving it down the road. I was going to get a custom tank made at some point anyways so it looks like it will be sooner than later.

Auto Transport Service
Back