• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken push rod

Joske2

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
Look what i found in my engine, luckily it broke on start up.
thumb_SAM_5458_1024.jpg
thumb_SAM_5459_1024.jpg

I suppose you noticed it is going blue. Have you got an oil supply problem?

Bummer....what type of cam/spring/rocker/valvetrain setup are you running? Looks like two-piece pushrods?

Yes, they are cut to fit. Comp Cams solid roller in 272 @ 50 ex 276 @50 .621 lift in and exhaust. It has the Indy S/R roller rockers. 1.5 ratio.
K-Motion K1100 springs.
All other pushrods where good. Adjusting screw ball was a bit damaged, but not blue from heat or so. Maybe the cup was damaged from pressing
it in?

Sorry damaged during assembly is possible but it would be a long shot. Hard to imagine an assembly problem making the pushrod go blue. That is heat that causes that. If all the others are OK I would be definitely checking that rocker for an oiling problem.

Had an identical break. Blamed it on bumping up the rev limiter to 6k from a lifetime of 4850. This on a 50k plus motor. Replaced it and all is well. Got a nice set from Manton, but have not installed them. Rods seem to be the first place to fail/weakest point on my build. At leat it’s high and easly accessed.

FE84E422-CAEB-4BF8-ADC3-E36EF6C435FF.png
I never found the broken piece. Not in pan.

Auto Transport Service
Back