• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken X shafts 8 3/4 clutch type SG

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
What would cause the cross shafts to break? Never seen this happen before. The rest of the unit looks ok short of normal wear....

IMG_20220428_071703772_HDR.jpg

I have seen that, my thought was something to do with wrong axles or wrong adjustment

I have seen that issue before. My friend had that happen with a clutch SG that he put into his Slant six dart. The unit was disassembled and inspected before it was placed into that car.

A few questions.. Are you running green bearings? If so have you removed the pin that holds them together? I heard that if you have green bearings and a sure grip you must remove the pin. I'm not sure about this but food for thought. Maybe someone can answer this for me as well.

A few questions.. Are you running green bearings? If so have you removed the pin that holds them together? I heard that if you have green bearings and a sure grip you must remove the pin. I'm not sure about this but food for thought. Maybe someone can answer this for me as well.
Yes you should remove it, unless you shave a bit off ea axle, to make sure they don't touch the buttons.

I have seen that, my thought was something to do with wrong axles or wrong adjustment
My thoughts too....but read below.

I always remove the pin on anything I put together with the Green bearings....but this unit came to me like this and don't know the history of it. A pin came with it and it looks ok and on other units I've had that were either used with the Greens or adjusted too tight usually made the pin fail and fall out.

My thoughts too....but read below.

I always remove the pin on anything I put together with the Green bearings....but this unit came to me like this and don't know the history of it. A pin came with it and it looks ok and on other units I've had that were either used with the Greens or adjusted too tight usually made the pin fail and fall out.
Valid points. I'm stabbing at theories, the one I saw was quite buggered up.

Auto Transport Service
Back