• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze distributor gear wear

67MPRFAN

Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello all should I be concerned about the wear on my gear, 470 TF 270 headed motor with a solid roller cam street strip car has less than 1,000 miles on the motor.

0301221905.jpg 0301221907.jpg 0301221906.jpg 0301221905a.jpg

This is a double duty car . It won't see many street miles but will get driven some. Thanks for the reply

Mine showed noticeable wear with not very many street miles. You can actually just buy the gear and reuse the shaft.

Anything that's worn off is now somewhere in the motor. What didn't get stuck in the motor has now entered the oil pump. Guaranteed it all didn't make it through into the filter !!

FYI......all you ever wanted to know (or not) about the "Melonizing" process.....or chemical hardening.....

Ferritic nitrocarburizing
or FNC, also known by the proprietary names Tenifer, Tufftride and Melonite as well as ARCOR,[Note 1][1] is a range of proprietary case hardening processes that diffuse nitrogen and carbon into ferrous metals at sub-critical temperatures during a salt bath. Other methods of ferric nitrocarburizing include gaseous process such as Nitrotec and ion (plasma) ones. The processing temperature ranges from 525 °C (977 °F) to 625 °C (1,157 °F), but usually occurs at 565 °C (1,049 °F). At this temperature steels and other ferrous alloys remain in the ferritic phase region. This allows for better control of the dimensional stability that would not be present in case hardening processes that occur when the alloy is transitioned into the austenitic phase.[2] There are four main classes of ferritic nitrocarburizing: gaseous, salt bath, ion or plasma, and fluidized-bed.[3]

The process is used to improve three main surface integrity aspects including scuffing resistance, fatigue properties, and corrosion resistance. It has the added advantage of inducing little shape distortion during the hardening process. This is because of the low processing temperature, which reduces thermal shocks and avoids phase transitions in steel.[4]
BOB RENTON

Just curious. A couple people have mentioned special gears for roller cams. Why? This takes power -from- the cam and powers the oil pump and spins the distributor. Do roller cams require special oil pumps? It would seem that the pump-viscosity would be the driver of need for a more durable gear.

Apparently it is an issue because of the billet camshaft cores.

Good point Nate. A lower viscosity oil might help. Dry sump system crank driven.$$$$ Dissimilar metal gears wear differently one wears more than the other.

Just curious. A couple people have mentioned special gears for roller cams. Why? This takes power -from- the cam and powers the oil pump and spins the distributor. Do roller cams require special oil pumps? It would seem that the pump-viscosity would be the driver of need for a more durable gear.

Hydraulic and solid cams are cast cores so they use a "dissimilar metal" steel intermediate gear. Roller cores are billet steel so they need a "dissimilar metal" gear to prevent galling and possible fusing. Therefore they have been using bronze. But the bronze has wear issues - seems to be great as a bushing but not so good as a gear. And not just in engines, I've seen bronze gears in all sorts of machines that have failed. All for the lack of anything better. Nowadays there are some better choices. In some cases nylon gears are an excellent replacement but in cases such as we're talking about, treatments of steel gears is the hot ticket.

One thing that has me puzzled though is transmission and differential gears. But these run in an oil bath so maybe that's why the hold up.

A steel gear is required nowadays with a billet roller cam
Iron flat tappet cams use an iron gear... Mix these up and you will have a mess..
As I said above, the composite gear is used with billet roller cams too... they are a bit spendy but work well....

A steel gear is required nowadays with a billet roller cam
Iron flat tappet cams use an iron gear... Mix these up and you will have a mess..
As I said above, the composite gear is used with billet roller cams too... they are a bit spendy but work well....
This is totally wrong. An iron hyd or flat cam uses a steel gear. There is no such thing as an iron gear.

I’m looking for alternatives to bronze, so far I’ve only found the Hughes option, who has/sells composite gears???

I’m looking for alternatives to bronze, so far I’ve only found the Hughes option, who has/sells composite gears???

A lot of stuff is hard to come by these days. It seems Hughes is the only one with the coated gear. Email them, maybe they can help with the complete gear/shaft. They're quick to reply - emailed this morning and they replied within the hour.

Auto Transport Service
Back