• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bucket seat disassembly

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
I pulled the seats out of the Charger to hopefully get the bottoms rebuilt wth new foam. I started to try and take the side trim off to remove the backs. I removed the two screws at the front and back, but it is still hung up. It looks like there might be bracket in the middle but I can't see how it is attached. Do I need to remove the tracks to get at it?

IMG_20220129_150904.jpg

Yes remove tracks, screw hiding under there. Nice color!

Thanks I thought I could feel a screw under there

So I finally got back out to the garage this weekend and disassembled the seats. I loaded them into the car and took them in to the upholstery shop this morning to have the springs tightened up and the foam replaced. I asked him if the vinyl looked pliable enough to be taken apart and redone, thinking it was all original. He took one look at the drivers seat bottom and said that the cover had been replaced. I asked him how he could tell and he said look at the colour of the stitching. The passenger side was stitched with white thread and the drivers side was stitched with blue thread. DOH! I have owned the car for two years and I never noticed.

Seat drivers.jpg Seat passengers.jpg

Now that I am looking at the pictures in larger format, there may be more pleats on the drivers side as well, unless it's just the angle of the picture. Doesn't really matter, they are going back in anyway.

I had the seat bottoms rebuilt with new foam and then moved on to other projects. Today I put the seats back together. Tomorrow I will put them back in the car and I should be mobile again. Thank goodness I marked everything, and good thing there were still witness marks were everything was bolted together. I never realized how many adjustments there were in the seat bases. Three height positions front and back plus slots for fore and aft adjustment.

IMG_20220604_153348323_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220604_153433918_HDR.jpg

The seats are back in and feel good. The previous owner had put 1 inch spacers under the rear studs. Now the seat back angle is better. I took the car for its first drive to the gas station. Now I just need to give it a bath.

Auto Transport Service
Back