• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bucket Seat Track Spacer Disc Removal/Install

MoparGuy68

Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
This is my first time ever attempting to replace these. There is a black plastic disc and a strange looking lock washer. Anyone know the proper method to remove the old and install the new disc/washer?

The old disc just spins when I turn it, while the washer is fixed in place on the seat track stud.

Same thing happens with the new one. Disc will spin while washer doesn’t rotate..

In the past it looks like someone had siliconed the old washer to the old disc so they would rotate together, as one unit. The new ones and unsiliconed old ones don’t rotate around the stud together.

0DF4A4F8-6152-4FA0-B5CE-8960A08477DA.jpeg 77251CA0-55CA-4987-A9B4-688BA552C914.jpeg

As far as i’m aware they are just a spacer to adjust the seat height. My spacers were all cracked so i broke them apart and just levered the lock washer up. To put them on you just push them down with your fingers or use a screwdriver. Doesn’t matter whether they rotate or not as they’re pressed against the floor anyway.

Those are speed nuts. They are used to hold subassemblies temporarily together. They can be found holding brake drums on the axle studs and evidently on seat hardware.
Mike

Break the speed nut off with a pick and needle nose pliers and to install a new one tap it on with a socket. They were to keep the spacers from falling off on the assembly line.

I HATE those things.
(I need the head room)

They will spin back up the threads with a screwdriver, but that's tedious.

Break them or bend enough of the spring steel tabs to pull straight off.

Push the new ones on if you don't need the extra 3/8" like I do.

OK, I guess I love them since it's so easy to get more room.

Break the speed nut off with a pick and needle nose pliers and to install a new one tap it on with a socket. They were to keep the spacers from falling off on the assembly line.
Agreed. You’ll have to break them to get them off. New ones can be found at any hardware store.

Got the old spacer disks removed. Have installed new ones that came from Year One, after cleaning all four studs with a chaser nut. Also installed shock bushings between the seat frame and tracks to raise the seat up. Previous owner did the same thing but with single bushings. I have used double bushings to raise it higher. He did not do the passenger seat. Think they are Rancho brand bushings. Still need to finish adding spacers and bushings to the passenger seat, only have the driver seat done so far.

When I sat in the passenger seat I felt like I was sitting down in a hole. Never felt the need to raise the seat in my 71 Challenger, but this Charger is just too low at stock position for me. Previous owner felt the same way obviously. I'm 5' 10", and it made me feel like I'm 5' 4" when I sat in the passenger seat.

IMG_4813.jpg IMG_4814.jpg IMG_4816.jpg IMG_4817.jpg

The Year One spacer disks are thicker than the disks they are replacing. I did not know this until after I bought the double set of Rancho bushings. When I ordered the spacers from Year One I assumed they would be the same thickness. I hope the seat doesn't end up being raised up too much..

IMG_3804.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back