• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

budget 5.7 hemi tr6060 six speed trans swap

smb03

Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
built for just a good cruiser with a cammed 5.7 hemi, tr6060 six speed trans, 3.91 suregrip, 4 wheel discs and vintage air. 5.7 hemi swap is common but the tr6060 is not. no one made headers so had to cut all the tubes off the doug 5.7 conversion header and re-route them to make work with the six speed due to the starter is on passenger side with this trans, was not aware the starter location changed. also had to make a tall tunnel that has a removable lid for shifter linkage, fab up trans mount and get a 1 piece drive shaft made to convert the trans from a 2 piece.

hemi.jpgexhaust.jpgtunnel.jpg

Wow. Impressive work, there. The engine really looks like it belongs - and that trans tunnel came out nice, especially for a part that's going to be completely covered up!

Wow, very impressive work. Need to hit the lottery so I can do this to my Coronet.

Very impressive, as that is my dream swap, especially with challengers starting to trickle into the salvage yards. Two things, that kind of looks like an E body to me and my untrained eye, and was there significant crossmember fabrication?

yes there was alot of trans crossmember fab, had to widen the tunnel where the tail housing is alot...also make a new hoop over the trans for strength. fab up a trans support bracket, get a 1 piece driveshaft conversion done on tr6060 ($800). tr6060 doesnt have a bleeder for the clutch, had to make a clutch line that tee'd off with a riser to push out air wich worked awesome, did "not" even need to pump the pedal 1 time to bleed the clutch. im now having to make a wheel speed sensor that clamps onto the axle flange behind the disc rotor because a tr6060 has no speed sensor, will have to convert the car to wheel speed sensor and a cable x box to drive the mechanical speedo

- - - Updated - - -

here are a few older pics, i need to be better at taking pictures during a build. we are building this challenger for a customer.2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

figured out a fix for the tr6060 not having a vss, went to the wrecking yard and found a reluctor wheel that will fit over the rear yoke. now ill have a speed signal to run the x-box electric to mechanical cable conversion for the speedometer
yoke reluctor.jpgfront on.jpg

What was the reluctor off of? I've been thinking about that for a while.

i used a reluctor and sensor off a mid 90's bmw, but anything will work aslong as it fits over the yoke, just fix it to the dust shield and make a bracket off the pinion snubber

i used a reluctor and sensor off a mid 90's bmw, but anything will work aslong as it fits over the yoke, just fix it to the dust shield and make a bracket off the pinion snubber

Yep pretty much what i had been thinking about. I went with a GPS speedo anyway but I had been thinking about doing one of these just to see if I could get my cruise control working.

tested the cable x box today with the reluctor wheel. its works...only problem is the cable x box's electric motor that drives the mechanic speedo doesnt have that much torque at low speeds under 20mph, it works but just not steady. if i spin the cable with a drill the speedo is steady even at 3mph but the electric motor doesnt have the low rpm torque to give a steady spin and the cable has to have as little bend in it as possible to even get it to work correctly at low speeds.

Could you move the cable x box up under the dash, to minimize the length of speedo cable that has to be driven? Or even mount it directly to the speedo? I've never used one of those boxes, so I have no idea how large it even is...

no, its about a 3"x5" box. you could probly order a shorter cable. if you used a 2 or 3" cable it might work under the dash but i only have 1 smooth 90 degree bend in mine. it works at 10mph steady now.

Did you use the new Challenger clutch master cylinder and pedals or did you go with an aftermarket setup? I thought that you may have used the factory one since you mentioned the bleeder T.

no, i just used a tilton aftermarket clutch master

Auto Transport Service
Back