• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buffalo. Actual wild buffalo

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
Technically they are bison, but only dorks call them that. We are home to the only free roaming wild Wood Buffalo left on the planet. There’s several thousand up here, and everything sort of revolves around them because they are so big they pretty much do what they want. You will notice that there’s no fences or gardens, that’s because the Buffalo wreck both.
They are generally peaceful until mating season, then they can be aggressive and very dangerous. They have to shoot the occasional one in town that has become touchy. Then they get a group from the prison to gut and skin. Just a back leg can be five hundred pounds, the head alone 150. The skin on the neck can be over two inches thick and the hide alone weighs a few hundred pounds. And that’s just skin, no fat or meat. It dulls your knife quickly. I have shot a few over the years but don’t any more; I’m not a big fan of the meat, although it’s O.K. Basically in my old age it’s too much work. The last one I shot we cut up with a chain saw and the blade was too short to split the back bone so buddy had to crawl inside the gut cavity with the saw and split from the inside. He’s about five foot eight and two hundred pounds and there was enough room for him to work a chainsaw. We use vegetable oil instead of chain oil, btw.
E3E5EFF8-C9DB-41DA-BAC7-E9DF7692BAF1.jpeg
6084200C-3B04-405F-9C75-D02BAE155D47.jpeg
736B23A1-C826-4082-AE31-4A676DF81DF3.jpeg

If you think running into a deer with your car is bad, it’s nothing compared to running into a Buffalo that weighs as much as a small car. The biggest one that I shot was 2200 pounds, we didn’t take one that was probably 2600 pounds because it would have been a lot of tough meat.
These photos were taken in a small community that I’m working in called Fort Providence. It is pretty much Buffalo central.

In Yellowstone, they pretty much own the park. I had a big bull decide he was going to run across the street just as I came up on him with my Road Runner. He just put his head down and went! Luckily, I was going slow, but I still had to stand on the brakes. They are impressive creatures!

Seen them in the North Dakota badlands too.

In Yellowstone, they pretty much own the park. I had a big bull decide he was going to run across the street just as I came up on him with my Road Runner. He just put his head down and went! Luckily, I was going slow, but I still had to stand on the brakes. They are impressive creatures!

This one here was just walking along the shoulder. I figured they were just used to traffic. I’ve seen deer stop and look both ways before crossing the street too.

6A83B71E-D1A8-47ED-9D5E-7AFC609399B3.jpeg

I don't have to go that far from home to see them as there are a few small herds around.
If you think they are friendly go ahead and pet them. It maybe the last thing you ever pet if you get that close. A six hundred pounds calf can run over you just a fast as a 2600 pound bull.
Their pastures here are fenced to keep people out. Like said if they want out they just go.

These guys have no fences. Closest fence would be over 500 miles away in a different province. And that’s to keep the cattle that live there in. This isn’t a park or ranch or anything, these are truly wild.

:lol:They are not Buffalo. Buffalo's have wings i don't see any Buffalo wings and how can something so big have such little wings?

It's crazy seeing them hanging out on the beach on Catalina Island. I think about buffalo only living in the plains-type areas..not these guys. They were pretty laid back too, obviously:D

This gave me a good belly laugh,
Technically they are bison, but only dorks call them that.

It's crazy seeing them hanging out on the beach on Catalina Island. I think about buffalo only living in the plains-type areas..not these guys. They were pretty laid back too, obviously:D

This gave me a good belly laugh,

These are Wood Buffalo, somewhat larger then plains bison. Darker in colour, too, I think.

We used to have a small herd right at the end of my street.
Unfortunately their water source was a well pump that failed. We had a hot couple weeks with no rain and they all went into the woods and died. Terrible terrible shame if only someone checked on them.

:lol:They are not Buffalo. Buffalo's have wings i don't see any Buffalo wings and how can something so big have such little wings?
Do so research. The natives call and have called them buffalo for generations. The stupid europeans called them bison. The largest herds are owned by the native american tribes and on reservation lands. I have been following the revival of these herds for 40 years now. Some even tried the development of beefalo in the late 1970's. Don't hear much about them anymore.

Found this on an old hard drive. I'm six foot two. That's 2200 pounds of buffalo that fed five families for a winter. He dropped when I pulled the trigger. Two hundred yard shot with a rifle I
portraits 034.jpg
built 35 years ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back