• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build a Charger?

Shane Winn

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys hear me out please. I'm not a body man, but I have been a mechanic for 30+ years so I don't think I'm too far out in left field.

I have this idea in my head that won't go away. I was wondering if it is possible to take an old B body and convert it to a 2cd generation Charger. I know people have done it with Coronets and Super Bees of the same era, but I was wondering if it could be done with a later model Charger; like a late 70's model (or any other car for that matter). I realize it would be major body surgery, but if you could pick up something with an interior, working gauges and a big engine already installed - and get it for cheap - maybe it would be worth it. I just want a daily driver with an exterior that has that kick butt 68-70 Charger look. I don't care what style the interior is - could look like a Chrysler Newport and I'd be okay with it. I don't care if the title says "Cordoba" just gimme that Charger exterior!

Even if it cost 20 grand it might be worth it... (AND - if it's a stupid idea, be nice to me)

I have to say this, what's wrong with all the other b bodies let's say 68 -70 for you? Nowadays any dodge b body from that particular years is highly desired, am ok with my coronet, even disassemble i get a lot of inquiry about the car, the other guys here can testify for that.

Chris Birdsong on youtube channel Junkerup does mostly 2nd gen Charger sheetmetal work and might be one to contact on doing something like this. He knows better than most on a swap like this.

They now build the general lee out of Ford Crown Victoria’s. Cut off the skin and put on 69 charger panels. Pretty cool idea.

I just don't think it'd be worth it.

I still see decent 68-70 chargers (running) for 15-20k every once in a while on Craigslist and marketplace.

don't care if the title says "Cordoba" just gimme that Charger exterior!

I can't blame you, Shane. This has been the love of my life since I was in HS. I never imagined I'd ever own one and consider myself blessed to finally have this masterpiece of industrial art.

I still see decent 68-70 chargers (running) for 15-20k every once in a while on Craigslist and marketplace.

Yeah, someone sent me a link for two and they both sold within hours of being posted.
IMG951098.jpg

I can't blame you, Shane. This has been the love of my life since I was in HS. I never imagined I'd ever own one and consider myself blessed to finally have this masterpiece of industrial art.
They are beautiful...

I have to say this, what's wrong with all the other b bodies let's say 68 -70 for you? Nowadays any dodge b body from that particular years is highly desired, am ok with my coronet, even disassemble i get a lot of inquiry about the car, the other guys here can testify for that.
Oh please don't get me wrong those are cool, but it's gotta be a Charger for me. Always has been that way for me ..

Chris Birdsong on youtube channel Junkerup does mostly 2nd gen Charger sheetmetal work and might be one to contact on doing something like this. He knows better than most on a swap like this.
I've seen that guy! Love how he drives the heck out of his cars...

They now build the general lee out of Ford Crown Victoria’s. Cut off the skin and put on 69 charger panels. Pretty cool idea.
That's exactly what I'm talking about! But wouldn't be easier if you started with some kind of Mopar?

With all the sheet metal available for the 2nd generation Charger, a good metal man good turn just about anything into a Charger look alike. Starting with something of the same general dimensions. Probably not a Farmall or a Peterbilt.

Auto Transport Service
Back