• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build sheets - well crap!

ncrobb

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
So what are the chances of finding two build sheets in your car and neither one being for the VIN you have? I am 100% certain the seats are original to the car. First build sheet was behind the back seat. Found one today under the driver’s seat. Dang it.

thats a bummer :BangHead: sounds like my luck,hope you find the people who own those cars,post the vins on the build sheet and make their day.

I posted the first one when I found it. I’ll throw this one up too.

I have read of that happening in the magazines.

Somebody replaced the seats in the distant past? From two different cars...?

No. I bought the car from the original owner with only 64,000 miles. The seats, like everything else, are original to the car.

Two identical interiors on the assembly line and they knew the color and grabbed the wrong one.

Two identical interiors on the assembly line and they knew the color and grabbed the wrong one.
Yep, actually three. Mine, a Charger and a 340 auto Road Runner. I used to work in a truck assembly plant. Even with line set parts it happens.

So what are the chances of finding two build sheets in your car and neither one being for the VIN you have? I am 100% certain the seats are original to the car. First build sheet was behind the back seat. Found one today under the driver’s seat. Dang it.
Funny topic...
When I bought my Charger, the guy gave me a file of paperwork with 2 broadcast sheets. I never looked that close at them.
Two weeks ago I did and neither of them are for my car!

You have the correct concept here, just multiply by dozens each day. Trim shop builds XX# of interior seat sets for the days scheduled builds. Say 3 dozen in green, 10 dozen in black, 5 dozen in blue, 1 dozen in red, etc, etc. All have a build sheet stuffed in the springs from the Trim shop line. All are delivered to the assembly line for installation in the cars. Assembly line workers don't have "time" to check every build sheet that's in the seats to match to the VIN, they just know this VIN car requires a "green" interior. Next car behind it requires a "black" interior, etc, etc. So, grab a green one for here, a black one for there. The seats are the same, just have a different build sheet in them than the car's VIN. And that's how you get a build sheet in your car that has a different VIN on it than the car itself.

I thought that the broadcast sheets were taped to the car bodies as they went down the line and that the only reason that they got stuffed into cars was just convenience. They had a way to keep the work area clean by stuffing these things under areas where they thought they wouldn't be found.

I don't understand why people think this happens only because someone changed out the interior.

It's actually extremely common.

If you've owned more than a few Mopars, you know this.

The posts above are spot on for the true explanation.

The interior shop gets a stack of build sheets to tell them what to build.
They stuff one in the seat(s), and send them to the main line.
Main line guys not only know what color is called for from their copy of the sheet, but what trim level, and know them by heart since that's what they do all day. They just grab the parts that their copy calls for.

I have a Satellite build sheet under the bottom cushion of the rear seat and the correct Roadrunner build sheet in the back of the back seat cushion. Wonder if someone here has the Satellite.

I thought that the broadcast sheets were taped to the car bodies as they went down the line and that the only reason that they got stuffed into cars was just convenience. They had a way to keep the work area clean by stuffing these things under areas where they thought they wouldn't be found.
There were several sets of broadcast sheets made for each car. One was sent to the upholstery shop, others were taped to different parts of the car. Then yes, thrown under the carpet or stashed somewhere so that they wouldn't fill up the trash cans in the assembly area.

I gutted a 77 charger SE a few years back. under the carpet on the passenger side was a stack of 6 blank broadcast sheets , pretty damn cool had they not been water damaged.
I saw a picture a while back showing a chunk of a broadcast sheet still remaining between the front bumper bracket and frame rail of a c body fury

Only thing I'd add to this more then likely the seats were in order for the line workers but stuff happens a seat could get damaged during the assy and to keep the line moving you grab the same color down the line so you can't get the car going to the next person !
Don't forget these guys had the Monday hangovers too!

Auto Transport Service
Back