• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building 383 Connecting rods question

1970lynch

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. It will be a lot of text as i want to give as much i fo as possible as i dont know which of it can be useful to give me an advice on my questions. First of all i am from russia keep in mind that we dont have proper v8 machine shop here, where you can leave an engine and have it totally complete in a few days))
So i bought stock 383 block with crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons. It is my first engine. Sent it for inspection to regular machine shop and they said it needs to be bored. So i decided to leave stock connecting rods and bought new pistons - kb400-30. I have sent it to the same machine shop so they can double check bore size. So they made all the works such as 0.30 over bore, deck surface cleaning, and they also press fitted the wrist pins into connecting rods on pistons and here is the first question that turned into a problem i guess.
Yesterday i have installed the spiral locks on all of the pistons and i realized that connecting rod is not in the middle of wrist pin on some pistons. So the first questions are:
1) As kb400-30 specified as press fit or floating, am i right that the wrist pin style depends on connecting rod and it was press fit on 383 from the factory?
2) What is the proper position of connecting rod small end on wrist pin in relation to the piston?
3) Last one but also the one that totally confused me: all of the assembling videos says that connecting rods big end have one side chamfered and another one is flat, flat goes rod to rod and chamfered goes to crankshaft. The problem is that mine are chamfered on both sides of big end!! Some have bigger chamfer some smaller but all of them are chamfered.
Thanks for the help in advance.

1) stock rod = press fit
2) should be centered
3)Large chamfer to the crank throw, stamped cylinder ID numbers should be visible when installed.. The connecting rod bearing lock notches point towards the outside of the engine on each side. And if present the oil squirt notches face the inside to oil the camshaft..

If you have "press fit" rod/pins there is no need for the spiro locks. The press fit should be centered in the piston. All Mopar rods have a chamfer on both sides. Wilds description of the correct position is accurate.

As stated:
1) locks & numbers are out, 1-3-5-7 Driver side, 2-4-6-8 Passenger side
2) Stock rod press, aftermarket rod float (with stock rods, do NOT use the locks too)
3) Rod and pin centered as best it can be as it will not be centered when installed and this is normal.

Auto Transport Service
Back