• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a late 70's 440

CoronetDarter

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
I'm at the point in my Coronet restoration to start on the engine rebuild. It's been on an engine stand for 8 months while taking care of the rest of the car. Checking the casting number I have a 1978 440, interestingly with 915 heads. I understand the late 70's 440 was a thin-wall design only good for a .020" overbore.

I've pulled the heads and the engine looks to be in excellent shape - no sludge or varnish anywhere, the lifters looked almost brand new. Looking down the bores the cross-hatch goes all the way up the ridge, which I know doesn't mean a whole lot until bore taper is measured. But overall the inside of the engine looks a lot better than the underside of the body panels did.

As a amateur enthusiast I've worked on a lot of big-blocks and know my way around an engine but I've never rebuilt one on my own. I can describe my skills as being able to get myself into trouble a lot faster and easier than getting myself out :eusa_pray: I'm still deciding whether to reassemble the engine myself or take the smart approach and hand it over to a professional.

So this weekend I'm going to be tearing down the reciprocating assembly but I need some advice from members before getting too deep. I'm OK with building up a stock stroke 440 and adding some performance parts to wake it up. Is the thin-wall 440 a good block to build up, assuming it passes magnafluxing and sonic check? If I want to step it up with zero-deck pistons (no more than 10:1 CR), decent cam (something in the area of a FT hydraulic .509"), head work, headers - can it handle the additional stress?

And I looked into stroker kits just for S & G and they all start at .030" over so I'm probably stuck with a stock stroke rebuild whether I want to or not.

I've already learned a great deal from FBBO members and value your inputs.

Thanks Benno. I had forgotten about 440 Source - they have a great website.

There is no problem going 0.030 over.
Dick Landy artical said he didn't find any differences in the 440 blocks wall thickness.

Upon closer inspection, it's been bored .030 over already, so it's good to go as is.

my block in my bracket car is a 78 block, bored .030, all done up with 440source parts, it has 635 hp, and been a great motor for 5 seasons now , running 10.40's all day, and I love the burn out box ...so it gets beat hard!!

my block in my bracket car is a 78 block, bored .030, all done up with 440source parts, it has 635 hp, and been a great motor for 5 seasons now , running 10.40's all day, and I love the burn out box ...so it gets beat hard!!

That sounds like a real nice engine. Can you share some of the specs - stroker crank, heads, cam, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back