• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulkhead bypass question

Splangj

Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed endlessly, but this might be a bit different. I converted my 69 Dart over to a volt meter per Mopar Action (RE), and that works quite well. On my 69 RR I’d like to keep my amp meter which works fine. What if I bypass the bulkhead connection to and from the amp meter with solid copper wires, and add superior connections just on the engine side of the firewall, leaving everything else alone. I’m not running an electric water pump or fuel pump. All I have is a decent older stereo without an additional amp. I’m not sure of the alternator output, but I don’t believe it’s much over the original.

Yeah. That's all you do.

The Ammeter is a problem, although it may be fine if you eliminate the bulkhead connectors.
I'm not an electrical genius, so i'm just guessing, but you definitely do not want to use solid
10ga. wire! Use stranded. it's more flexible and easier to work with. I've been told that electrons
flow on the outside of the wire strands, not through the middle of the wire itself.

Never use solid core wiring in any kind of moving vehicle. Normal movement and vibration will lead to fatigue failure in short order. There is really no need for any disconnects at firewall on those runs, simple quality butt splices are more reliable long term.
The Ammeter is a problem....
Only if the it’s connections/insulators are abused/neglected or it is operated outside its design limits.

Last edited:
Of course Do use Stranded wire for Automotive use..... Way easier to use with less maintenance probs.....Unless Each wire Strand is Individually insulated from all other conductor strands (Litz Wire),... common stranded wire Doesn't much affect electrical Skin Depth effect....DC systems (including 12 volt DC auto) electron current flows Cross Section Equally to Core with no conductor surface skin depth effects ....

No solid wire, got it. But if I use 10 gauge wire, will that make the ammeter the weak link? I’ve never heard of any catastrophic ammeter failures like the bulkhead connections.

I have a ‘70 Belvedere FSM around somewhere, and the police package did just that. It was heavier gauge, and had a thorough grommet with no disconnect. Right to the alternator gauge lug.

Auto Transport Service
Back