• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BUSTED!!! Wilwood brake caliper mounting bracket

74Beeper

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
So, I'm cruising down the street nice n slow, I slightly touched the brakes to to stop at a stop sign, suddenly..... BAM, THUNK THUNK THUNK!!! I managed to get the Beeper pulled over to the side of the road. I get out to look at the damage. The front right Wilwood caliper mounting bracket snapped and the caliper bounced around and wedged itself in the wheel. I pulled the wheel and the caliper just dropped to the ground. The damage could have been worse but it still friggin sucks. It looks as though the caliper bracket actually failed. I never heard any noise prior to this to indicate a problem coming. It just SNAPPED!!!

Has as anyone else had this problem or heard of this happening? I will be on the horn with Wilwood as soon as they open is morning.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

it almost looks like the disc has stress cracks in it, maybe that failed and took the bracket out, i would look at the other side as well

it almost looks like the disc has stress cracks in it, maybe that failed and took the bracket out, i would look at the other side as well

Good call. I really haven't had a chance to look at it close yet. I took these pics last night along the side of the road. I capped he brake line and limped it back to the shop. My plan was to inspect all of the brakes.

Man, that sucks! Hope they take care of you. The wheel might be bent, or cracked from the caliper wedging in there.

We are glad both you are your car are safe. Let us Know how you make with Wilwood. They are a stand up company in the industry and would take something like this very seriously. Just for curiosity sake how long ago did you do the wilwood conversion.

Thanks
James

I'm also interested what Wilwood says and does about it. To have a 4 wheel Wilwood conversion too and its good to know how they stand behind their products.

Yeah I'm interested in hearing an outcome as my setup just showed up

It looks like the top caliper mounting bolt was gone before this broke? maybe the caliper swung out of position and wedged the caliper in the rim which broke the lower part of the bracket off?

looks like your rotor failed. is there a chunk out of the inside of the rotor?

I think this is a good question. Did your rotor fail and take out the brake, or did your brake fail and take out the rotor? I would measure the caliper thickness and look for other signs of a problematic rotor. It seems more likely to me that the rotor failed and then the broken rotor caught the caliper and ripped it out. The opposite failure scenario just doesn't seem as plausible to me....

Either way, this sucks and I am sorry to hear this happened. Good luck with the fix.

I think the rotor and bracket damage may have been caused by the caliper coming loose from the bracket because the caliper bolt appears to be missing?
brakebreak.jpg
brakebreak2.jpg

I think the rotor and bracket damage may have been caused by the caliper coming loose from the bracket because the caliper bolt appears to be missing?
View attachment 275302
View attachment 275303

Yep.... That's exactly what happened. The "very reputable Mopar restoration shop" I had my car done at did not tighten the brakes enough on the passenger side. I pulled the wheels and checked all of the brakes and they are tight but there was no loc-Tite on any of the bolts and common sense tells you there should be at least some blue loc-tite on these bolts. I spoke with Wilwood and they recommend using red loc-tite. The shop who did my car are stepping up and sending me all the parts needed to repair this. But, here in North Dakota, we've been having the nicest weather we've had all summer and my car sits like this!

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We are glad both you are your car are safe. Let us Know how you make with Wilwood. They are a stand up company in the industry and would take something like this very seriously. Just for curiosity sake how long ago did you do the wilwood conversion.

Thanks
James

Hey James,

thanks for that. It was caused by incorrect installation by the shop I had build my car. One of the bolts fell out. They are sending me all the parts to repair it.

On on an unrelated matter. I have some sway bars that I ordered from you that didn't fit on my car that I need to return. Can you help me out with this?

Yep.... That's exactly what happened. The "very reputable Mopar restoration shop" I had my car done at did not tighten the brakes enough on the passenger side. I pulled the wheels and checked all of the brakes and they are tight but there was no loc-Tite on any of the bolts and common sense tells you there should be at least some blue loc-tite on these bolts. I spoke with Wilwood and they recommend using red loc-tite. The shop who did my car are stepping up and sending me all the parts needed to repair this. But, here in North Dakota, we've been having the nicest weather we've had all summer and my car sits like this!

View attachment 276023

- - - Updated - - -

Hey James,

thanks for that. It was caused by incorrect installation by the shop I had build my car. One of the bolts fell out. They are sending me all the parts to repair it.

On on an unrelated matter. I have some sway bars that I ordered from you that didn't fit on my car that I need to return. Can you help me out with this?

Shoot me a PM with your full name and shipping address and I will attend to your need.

Thanks
James

Auto Transport Service
Back