• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying a 71-72 - VIN locations

AZRC

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
When looking to buy a 71-72 RR or Charger where would you find all the VIN stampings on the vehicle - even if they are only partial VIN. I just want to make sure the vehicle is an original if they say it is.

Top cowl between the wiper motor and master cylinder. Can be hidden under the cowl seal. Also the radiator support, normally left side facing the radiator. Sometimes on top.

- driver's side of the dash ( 1968 & later )
- fender tag
- driver's door ( sticker )

the other , partial v.i.n.'s will only include plant , year and sequence number
( i.e. , A2210471 : A= plant code , 2= 1972 , 210471 = car's sequential build number ) .
for whatever reason , the year and plant codes are inverted on partial v.i.n.'s .

Any possible stamping on the front or rear subframes? Thanks for all the info

None on the subframes, the only body stampings are as mentioned above, plus engine and trans. which are partial like 1972 Coronet mentioned.

Last edited:
Rear package tray too!

no they are not

the vin numbers are on the door dash fender tag rad cowl :D on a 71- 74 b-body

numbers on the cowl are located on the overhanging sheet of metal just above the wiper motor. on

G - St Louis

R - Windsor
on
E - Los Angeles the numbers are the cowl

Auto Transport Service
Back