• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying a new car

Bb70charger500

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys as some have read I'm superbee was totaled and instead of getting a replacement since baby two is coming I'm going to replace it with a family car!
So org I was looking for a mopar suv /truck with a v8 so I can tow ! Well I'm to poor to seems unless I get something with a ton of miles ! I want something with relatively low miles in near new shape! So I changed gears seems I can afford a slightly used chrysler pacifica about $20000 with 23000 miles
Can't tow but I need something that will last and be safe for my girls .

So I found a van in orlando about an hour away . Everything looks great only thing that came up is its from n.y. this bothered me a little . So guys up there how do cats look rust wise after 1-2 years 20k miles or so ? Should I be concerned ? I've seen northern cars just falling apart but I've seen some that looked great!?!?
I do like this van but I just don't know.
It's fwd so not seeing it as a winter car up there. What do you guys think I'm coming up short on things that will accommodate my growing family!

My friend with a 2014 Ram truck from New York has rust in his rockers, over the wheel wells, and on the running boards.

NY. No way. Still want to know the story on the truck in the creek ahead of the Charger.

Reading your post I'm not sure if you're considering a Pacifica and a mini-van or you consider the Pacifica to be a van. My personal feeling has been the Pacifica does not offer as much inside space as a typical mini-van. With 2 kids space can quickly become an issue for you. A sister owned a Pacifica for a while and ended up unhappy with the space.

Front wheel drive generally works well in winter driving. Some will claim you have to have all wheel drive. I don't subscribe to that. Again, just my opinion.

I wondered if the van you found in Orlando wasn't traded in down there by a snow bird from New York. If so, chances are the vehicle saw little winter at all. 20,000 miles in 2 years I believe is a bit less than average mileage for a used car.

I've a 70 Fury convertible that still has New York stickers on the windshield. The car is rust free. There are certainly places worse for cars than New York in the winter time.

Hi I got my wife a 2019 loaded van even from up north if you give it a good oil in panel spraying and under coating you will nutralize any rust if there is any , have a 1990 tow truck with no rust thanks to good rust proofing . and with the 3.6 you can tow with in reason .

i deal in vehicles up here and we buy ours from out of state and then watch them rust in a winters time.
i take vehicles with low miles right to the scrapyard because they are so rotty underneath.
usually the drivetrains are all i save,if even.
dont buy any junk from ny.
just my opinion.

also,if you are looking at vans,check the recalls and forums for issues.
seems like the transmissions were an issue all thru the 2000-s?

Look at the Kia ,not joking they are ranked higher then any american car. I would of laugh at anyone if they told me I would buy one. I have a 2014 Cadenza My friend has the mini van and she gos everywhere in it yep soccer mom.

NY. No way. Still want to know the story on the truck in the creek ahead of the Charger.

Seconded...

Not sure what your referring to a truck in the water the charger was the only carin the water there was a f350 up on the road the road was very wet and muddy ?
KIMG1519.JPG

I believe this is the picture you were talking about!

As for the chrysler pacifica I know the old ones are small suv they brought back the name as a van !
I'm looking at a 2019 I'm just afraid of the rust it might be hiding guy says I can't put it on there lift to look under it he said I can however take it to a shop to get it looked at but most shops don't let you just roll in and look under a car.

As for towing it's useless 3000 lbs I cant tow any real cars at all maybe a miata if the trailer was air!
I got a chevy suburban I found $10k more with 50 k on it but the dealership won't answer the phone!
If it came down to it and I can get that I'll spend the extra $10k but I'm thinking it's some scam it was on ebay I bid it up to $20k and it had a reserve my wife looked up the dealers site said they had it listed at $33000 witch is extremely cheap for this suv but no response from dealership says there open too!?!?! Who knows I'll try again tomorrow.
Northern cars scare the hell out of me !
I found a very nice Mazda cx-9 with 50k on it for $20000 it's in arizona it's basically a duplicate of my wife's suv witch we love only big difference is this one for sale is AWD I would rather it be fwd I don't trust AWD units wish they built them like 4wd I'd feel better it's just more crap to break

i just pulled in a mazda tribute,low miles beautiful body right before dark.
v6 auto awd rusty as f underneath
while he was driving it the snap ring freed itself and the accumulator/governor assembly went shooting across the road.
emptied his tranny in record time.
dont buy one of those.

Look at the Kia ,not joking they are ranked higher then any american car. I would of laugh at anyone if they told me I would buy one. I have a 2014 Cadenza My friend has the mini van and she gos everywhere in it yep soccer mom.

You know last night I saw a kia van and I told my wife we should look into one she said it's bad enough were buying a van does it have to be a kia!!!!

She's not thrilled with vans if you can tell but they seem to be the best bang for the buck .

As for the trans I was a bit concerned I see they have a 9 speed in them!?
Wth! And we can only get 17mpg????
I'd like to know where my gas is going I get 15 mpg out of my f250 king ranch with a 5.4 and a 4 speed auto towing or not!
How does a 6 cly van with a 9 speed auto only get 2-3 mpg more? They say motor puts out 305 h.p. ok my truck has like 340 ish yeah my truck can't get out of its own way but he'll one extra gear could probably solve this issue!
I don't get it ! But our old cars are the issues???
My 318 charger 904 and highway gears got 20-22 mpg with only 3 gears?

I have a 2017 ford transit and it only get 15mpg,but it will get out of its own way. Nice 1st gear and can tow up to 6000lbs.

We used to see 2-3 YO cars come from NY to auto auction here in Lancaster, Pa (Manheim) and holy cow. Saw some destroyed stuff. Only thing you can do is ask for some pictures underneath. You’ll know real quick if it’s okay or not.

Not sure what your referring to a truck in the water the charger was the only carin the water there was a f350 up on the road the road was very wet and muddy ? View attachment 1040500
I believe this is the picture you were talking about!

As for the chrysler pacifica I know the old ones are small suv they brought back the name as a van !
I'm looking at a 2019 I'm just afraid of the rust it might be hiding guy says I can't put it on there lift to look under it he said I can however take it to a shop to get it looked at but most shops don't let you just roll in and look under a car.

As for towing it's useless 3000 lbs I cant tow any real cars at all maybe a miata if the trailer was air!
I got a chevy suburban I found $10k more with 50 k on it but the dealership won't answer the phone!
If it came down to it and I can get that I'll spend the extra $10k but I'm thinking it's some scam it was on ebay I bid it up to $20k and it had a reserve my wife looked up the dealers site said they had it listed at $33000 witch is extremely cheap for this suv but no response from dealership says there open too!?!?! Who knows I'll try again tomorrow.
Northern cars scare the hell out of me !
I found a very nice Mazda cx-9 with 50k on it for $20000 it's in arizona it's basically a duplicate of my wife's suv witch we love only big difference is this one for sale is AWD I would rather it be fwd I don't trust AWD units wish they built them like 4wd I'd feel better it's just more crap to break
Jesus Chrysler! I thought that open front passenger door on the Charger was the back of a pickups camper. The doorhandle being a Nissan logo or some such. I’ll get my eyes checked. Sorry bout that.

Last edited:
Jesus Chrysler! I thought that open front passenger door on Charger waw the back of a pickups camper. The doorhandle being a Nissan logo or some such. I’ll get my eyes checked. Sorry bout that.
tenor.gif

sucks getting old doesnt it. Im right there
with you Dennis

Since the topic is touching on vans, I just bought a 2007 Toyota Sienna AWD for my winter/salt duty. The original owner was here from Utah for Thanksgiving, and hit a deer. Not bad, but he couldn't drive it home without lights on one side. I paid $500 for it and bought an '08 wrecked in the back for $1,000. Will make one of the two.
I had a Camry and it was a very good car. I do take care of my cars and drive for fuel mileage, so cars last for me.
Is a Sienna an option for Bb70? I've yet to drive mine as a friend drove it home for me, so I don't know how it drives. It is a 7 passenger, more than enough room for my needs.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back