• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying a Work Truck

FlagCraig

Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
Need to buy a new work truck. The old one is tired. I want to do new right now because it looks like there are deals out there. Budget is 35K or less.

Looking at Dodge Ram and 1500 versus 2500. Prices better on 1500's but need something that can pull an enclosed trailer with car. It won't be too often and wondered if the V8 1500's would struggle with that load.

Also would consider a Silverado. I'm not big on bells and whistle options.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Need to buy a new work truck. The old one is tired. I want to do new right now because it looks like there are deals out there. Budget is 35K or less.

Looking at Dodge Ram and 1500 versus 2500. Prices better on 1500's but need something that can pull an enclosed trailer with car. It won't be too often and wondered if the V8 1500's would struggle with that load.

Dodge/Cummins w/overdrive is where i would start looking

You would be pushing the boundaries of A 1500. With a tow package the new ones max out around 10,200lbs. It will pull it, but it's going to be work for that 1500.

Not up on the Silverados...

1500 vs 2500
Decent mileage all the time but less towing/hauling capabilities vs Tow anything but get less mileage all the time...unless you go diesel (and bump up the price significantly)

BTW: I hear the 1500 diesel is w-a-y underpowered when loaded.

Good luck with your decision.

Stick with the 2500, the 1500 will be worn out before it's time. Plus the 2500 will have a lower gear rear axle which makes it best for towning heavy loads. The negative is lower MPG. But will the 1500 suffer from low MPG as well when towing? IMHO

I'm guessing FlagCraig is leaning towards the 1500 due to the gas tax increases California's governor 'Moon Beam' will have in place this year. 42-cent total increase(!)...12-cent increase in April and an additional 30-cent increase in November) (que...69a100)

One reason i mentioned Dodge/Cummins w/overdrive. My Friend gets 21-23 mpg on freeway.
& it's a hell for stout truck.

Buy a Cummins, you'll never regret it 18-22 HWY empty, 10-14 with enclosed trailer. I have 100K on my 05 and still going strong! I gave 18K for it in 2007 and it's still worth 15K+. Just set the cruise and let her roll.

A half ton handles an open car trailer fine but the enclosed trailer adds enough weight that i would not do it. Power wise it would be ok but you need the beefier suspension to control the trailer. Find a used diesel that has been on camper duty for a couple years.

The wind drag is huge above 55mph

Short trips in a 1500 with an enclosed trailer might be tolerable but all day would suck. I have a 2016 Laramie cummins with 3:42 gears and it got 21.9 and 21.6 mpg going to the Nats at 80 mph with no trailer. I also have a 1500 Eco diesel and I believe its the worst engine I have ever owned. I would take a 307 chevy over this engine.

Been down this road my 1500 was a dog towing my car trailer.Stepped up to a 2500 gas and it was great.Then I was doing cross country races for 5 years and went Diesel dually.
Just a thought ,, Fastenall (if in your area) sells their trucks(2 wheel drive mostly Dodges) after 1-2 years . You may get a good used deal. I was looking at 3 when I was in Pa this summer .Very well kept,clean low mile trucks. Again just a thought..

well i own a 2010 4 doorr 1500 with 3.92 rear an a 2010 reg cab 2500 with 3.73 gears the 4 door pulling no trailer gets 14 mpg the 2500 pulling no trailer gets 11 mpg. you guys tell me the problem. its all in the gearing they tell me

35k. If you go Cummins it will need to be a used model. Those things cost a kings ransom.

The eco diesel is built by FCA/GM.
So why does GM use an Isuzu Diesel?
And high mile Cummins cost a fortune.

I have an inclosed, 22 ft box, 7,000 gvw and with the '62 inside my 2003, 2500, hemi is sufficient. I wouldn't want anything smaller for pulling my trailer. I couldn't afford what the Cummings were going for used so I bought this second hand 2500 just to have something that would be capable of pulling it. Hills and head winds are very noticeable. I want to install load levelers at some point. It could use them for better handling and load transfer.

I wouldn't dream of useing a 1500, even with a towing package.

Cummins if you can swing it. Ive been towing for 30+ years, all varities of trailers, and nothing comes close. At the minimum, a gas 6.4 2500 and use an equalizing hitch. Mine may be overkill, 2011 Cummins TD, 4:10's, but came with built in brake controller and exhaust brake. I pull a 11,000 lb 5th wheel all over the country- zero problems. 17 mpg empty, 11+ towing. Nothing about a Cummins is cheap, but nothing else compares.

I'm not seeing how some people are getting 20+ mpg with a Cummins. The best my 99' 2500 4x4 TCD has gotten was 15, unloaded with just my dad and myself.

I had a 91 3500 gen 1 Cummins with a 5 so. Flatbed.

I used to get 21-23 mpg
I was unaware that automatic could get 20+

Auto Transport Service
Back