• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

buying wiper linkage kit before pulling the cowling?

levicah

Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
74' satellite/roadrunner body...I want to buy what I need before removing the cowling under the wiper pivots. Symptoms: wiper motor runs, but no linkage moves or makes noise. Linkage is still attached between the wiper arms. What part or parts am I looking at? I'd buy the plastic grommets that wear out on the linkage joints, but I'm thinking I'll need more parts at the motor transition. Anybody know what can shear off right at the motor shaft?

I'm just trying to avoid down time waiting for parts to ship...but I dont know what I am doing!

Thanks

You should be able to unbolt the wiper motor and pull it out about an inch. See whats going on with the motor shaft connection.
Maybe the nut came off and the linkage fell off is not connected.
What happens if you grab the wipers and try to move them?

You should be able to unbolt the wiper motor and pull it out about an inch. See whats going on with the motor shaft connection.
Maybe the nut came off and the linkage fell off is not connected.
What happens if you grab the wipers and try to move them?

both arms move when one is moved. So you think I can pull the motor out without losing parts down in who knows where?...I'm assuming I will still have to pull that hood strip to get at stuff eventually? The pivot mounts look bolted to this strip, I'm not sure of how get it back together once those pivot bodies drop under the strip or cowling.

If the wipers move freely that's a good sign, sometimes they get frozen on the shaft which goes through the cowling.
It's designed to remove and install the motor from the engine bay. You may want a helper because it's a bit tricky to hold the motor, line up the linkage and get the nut on.
I'm guessing you may need the nut. Hopefully it's that simple.

the gear is teflon... mostly sure it craked and got loose from the shaft. Need to replace the shaft/gear assembly. BTDT

two or 3 speeds ? kits are sometimes available NOS at ebay ( 2 speeds a bit harder )... or simply get a replacement motor

3 speeds kit is easy to service

2 speeds kit needs a bit more skills and tooling, since housing halfs are riveted

You may want a helper because it's a bit tricky to hold the motor, line up the linkage and get the nut on.
I'm guessing you may need the nut. Hopefully it's that simple.

71 and late bodies are way easier, everything accesible from engine bay side. No need to get into the dash side

you can even look in and see if the motor, clip and arm are attached by simply removing the plastic screen.

the bushings are a common item to crack, or pop off.

"Help" has a kit that contains several sizes and two in the kit work.

I did it the hard way, by squeezing my hand and a pair of pliers in the driver's side vent...

..but I've been told (IIRC by Nacho) that you can remove the drivers side pivot and put the bushing and arm on while it's out.

Auto Transport Service
Back