• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzzing sound and new ignition question

ChargerTES66

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Tried to start my big block 66 Charger today and just get a buzzing sound...nothing turning over. I think the solenoid may be gone since I have a brand new battery. Thinking about replacing entire ignition system with electronic MSD system. Thoughts? Are there better options? Also, starter options? MSD makes a mini starter as well. What successes have people had?

Firstly, welcome. Need a little more info. "Buzzing" sound ? from what area ? do you have an electric fuel pump ? Try giving the starter a quick rap, has it been sitting awhile ? Ususally, you just get a "click". Is the ignition system a problem now ? Manifolds or headers ?

Tried to start my big block 66 Charger today and just get a buzzing sound...nothing turning over. I think the solenoid may be gone since I have a brand new battery. Thinking about replacing entire ignition system with electronic MSD system. Thoughts? Are there better options? Also, starter options? MSD makes a mini starter as well. What successes have people had?
IMO the best option is to find out what's wrong first...there's nothing worse than changing a bunch of parts and finding out it still won't work.
Try jumping the power directly across the terminals at the starter...that bypasses everything except the big red wire. That will tell you if the solenoid and starter motor are good providing big red's connection points are good (wiggling the wire at the ends while attempting to start it can reveal bad connections). If you can't reach down there, you can jump it on the starter relay also but you now have the wire from the battery to the relay, and the wire from the relay down to the starter involved so if it still won't crank then give those the wiggle-test also..happy hunting!

Firstly, welcome. Need a little more info. "Buzzing" sound ? from what area ? do you have an electric fuel pump ? Try giving the starter a quick rap, has it been sitting awhile ? Ususally, you just get a "click". Is the ignition system a problem now ? Manifolds or headers ?
Buzzing from under the hood sounds like lower engine (starter). No electric fuel pump and I have manifolds. Ignition has always been slow to crank but better since new battery. I will try the rap.

IMO the best option is to find out what's wrong first...there's nothing worse than changing a bunch of parts and finding out it still won't work.
Try jumping the power directly across the terminals at the starter...that bypasses everything except the big red wire. That will tell you if the solenoid and starter motor are good providing big red's connection points are good (wiggling the wire at the ends while attempting to start it can reveal bad connections). If you can't reach down there, you can jump it on the starter relay also but you now have the wire from the battery to the relay, and the wire from the relay down to the starter involved so if it still won't crank then give those the wiggle-test also..happy hunting!
Thanks, will try

Buzzing from under the hood sounds like lower engine (starter). No electric fuel pump and I have manifolds. Ignition has always been slow to crank but better since new battery. I will try the rap.

Buzzing in the starter is usually a low or dead battery or bad cable connection dropping battery voltage as I always say it sounds like a machine gun. What happens is when you try to start the car and the voltage to the starter solenoid pulls the solenoid in as it shorts the pull in coil in the solenoid once the starter contact hits to send battery power to the starter. But its not enough battery so the solenoid drops back out since the starter drained the power to try and work. Then it happens all over very fast as the solenoid pulls in and drops right back out because the battery is to low for the hold in coil in the solenoid to hold it in when the current goes to the starter. It happens so fast it sounds like a buzzing or a machine gun. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back