• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bypassing Backup/Neutral safety switch to test backup lights

jogirob

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
The FSM says that continuity should show between the 2 outer prongs of the 3 pronged switch only when the transmission is in reverse. I get no continuity readings from the switch at any time so I'm thinking it's bad. Neutral safety tests check good btw.

Just for the fun of it I wanted to see if I could jumper the leads that go into the outer prongs of that switch to each other in order to get the backup lights to shine. I got nothing. Does the car have to be running? Whats going on?

Attachments

• neutral-backup-switch1.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • neutral-backup-switch2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
Without looking at the wiring diagram I would say that I think the key would have to be on, much like when you are testing turn signals.

Couple of easy tests. You can pull the plug connector at the trans, with the car in reverse (ignition not on) you should have continuity on the outer pins. If you don't it's the neutral safety switch or,, less likely, a slight miss-adjustment in your shifter linkage.
Or you could pull the plug connector at the trans, turn the ignition on and short out the two outer sockets. If the backup lights work, it still points to the NSS. They're both kind of the same test.
If neither test works, a deeper dive into the problem is in order.

Auto Transport Service
Back