• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cable shift trans "65???

barbee6043

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
1. how to remove cables. i have shop manual comin but need help now. 2. slant six motor stuck, heads off, can't budge convertor, can't move pulley, maybe long bolt screwed at pulley?? soak with ????? i ve heard before everything from coke to cow pee??? gunsmith told me today best penetrant in half and half mix of atf and acetone!???????????? any help please!!!!??

The cable in the rear of the trans is the park cable. Kind of a pain to remove so first grab a pan and remove the allen head cap screw and drain fluid. while that is draining there is a nut to remove and a keeper to loosen. The keeper does not come out just tap it back in a little to give the cable some free play. When the fluid stops enough to shine a light and peer into the hole, you will see a spring/clip with a loop in it. Insert a flat headed screwdriver and while pressing up on the looped end give the cable a pull. Takes a little finesse and patience.

NO PLIERS OR VISE GRIPS RECOMMENDED OR NEEDED.

Next is the shift cable and honestly draining the fluid and dropping the pan is by far the easiest. Then you can see how the spring works at retaining the cable. However, you can remove the bolt, unscrew the adjusting wheel and the same process as the park cable except the access point is through the neutral safety switch. So get your pan and remove that first and drain some fluid.

Auto Transport Service
Back