• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caliper Pin Lubricant favorites

MoparGuy68

Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
What are your favorite lubricants to use on disc brake caliper pins?

My pins had a purple colored lubricant on them when I removed the calipers. I’m wondering if it was the Permatex lube in the attached photo? I need to buy some lube for the pins, before I can reinstall the calipers.. The pins were cleaned by Karps and are dry, with no lube.

B31AE017-A670-4A04-885D-3FD9D640B9E8.png C1A54314-9AE1-48C3-907D-389741B1C97B.jpeg B60F4D15-699A-448F-A778-3CE93CB10449.jpeg

I like Silglide by NAPA. I have always used a silicone grease. On the metal contact areas I use antisieze.
Mike

I have a tube of Mopar brake grease I have had since I was a tech in the 90's. Good stuff and lasts forever!

3M silicone paste. It also is great for window regulator tracks.

Permatex makes some hi-temp silicone stuff that's green or teal in color. Comes in the
same type of container shown above. Fantastic! Stays put too.

Synthetic. PTFE Whatever you use, only a tiny bit and only directly on the contact surfaces.
Any more will just attract dirt and eventually gum up things.
The factory used none to very little. No goops or such.
The key is for everything to be CLEAN.

Permatex anti-seize for me, never had a problem, but this thread has me re-thinking.

Thanks for the responses. I bought the Permatex Purple stuff, at NAPA, this weekend. Will use it next weekend. Installed my restored booster and master cylinder today.

Auto Transport Service
Back