• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caliper types - pin or slider?

Demonic

Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
Is one factory type better vs the other? Seems the slider caliper is more common, maybe made longer? I know the sliders can wear the adapters and get hung up. The pins are of course, replaceable.

I have never used the pin type in a Mopar. I have also never had a problem with the slider calipers. I suppose that people in rust prone climates may have different success rates than dry climates.

I have repaired the worn rear caliper brackets on my 98 Neon with a little nickel welding rod and grinding back to shape. Very easy. Probably around 250,000 miles at the time. 276,000 on the car now.
Seems like I read on this forum that the pistons may be different sizes. The sliders are certainly easier to service.
Mike

Pin type is a better system in my opinion, however many slide type are out there with no issue. i have had slide type hang up.

IIRC the pin type were said to be more prone to binding, but I'm not sure if that's correct. It seems to me that the slider type would be easier to manufacture. Sliders are easier to work on than my pin type.

I have pin type on my 67 belvedere, but I heard slide type is better? To me they both work fine, your not drive 50,000 a year.

Auto Transport Service
Back