• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling all Station Wagon Guys - Fuel sending question 69 Ply Wagon

70chall440

Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
I am working on a 69 Ply Wagon for a buddy that is currently running a healthy 440 6 pack, I am converting it to EFI 6 pack (Fitech tripower) and am doing the fuel system, I want to replace the fuel sending unit 1 because it is 5/16 and 2 because I do not believe it works anyway (haven't tested it yet). Anyway, I have searched around for a sending unit and have found a 66-67 3/8" sending unit that "looks" very much like the original one. The wagons (as you probably know) use a very distinctive tank and different sending unit from the other cars.

So I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this issue. I can make something if need be, but I would rather take a simpler path if one exists

Thanks in advance

68-70 wagons use the 66/67 gas tank

Because they need the spare tire well for the 3rd seat leg room.

They just never changed the rear floor pan on the wagon bodies.

The roof is the same, too.

So, a trunk floor from a 66-67 would be the same as the 3rd row seating area?

68-70 wagons use the 66/67 gas tank

So all wagon tanks from 66-70 interchange? I don't have a "interchange manual" in front of me so I can't confirm that so I'll just say, really? Do you have a source for this? Thanx

I have a 66 Coronet wagon and a 69 Satellite wagon. They were purchased separately and both had been sitting so long the tanks were either shot or so full of varnish there was no saving them. I'd looked into this some time ago because the wagon tanks were so darn expensive. A member had told me the same thing back then. I ordered a 66-7 passenger car tank (dirt cheap compared to ones listed for 68-70 wagon) and measured everything, comparing the new tank to the ones from both my cars. There were some very subtle differences (cosmetic) which I attributed to the mfr, otherwise they're the same tank. Same thing for the sending unit.

All 66/67 B body tanks and 68-70 wagon tanks are the same.

My source is my experience and the proof can be had by simply looking at the floor pans and the tanks.

...and big block cars would have gotten a sender with 3/8" line, so you should be able to find that pretty easy.

You are right, found a lot of them. In fact I ordered one yesterday, I am converting this car to EFI 6 pack so this will be very helpful.

I am checking with Tanks Inc about an EFI tank for the wagons.

Again, ask them about 66/67 tanks (like Charger or GTX-R/T).

Might get a better response.

Tanks Inc. makes a tank but did not have an EFI tank (yesterday) however even if they do have one, we are going a different a different route as my client does not want to spend $400 on a tank.

Just heard from Tanks Inc, the F.I. version of the TCR14 is about 6 months out..

I saw that tank, not an EFI tank. There are lots of those tanks available but none EFI ready, I figured Tanks would be working on one. If I were going to use one of those, I would definitely put an access door on the top bc there is not a lot of room to work when that tank is in.

The one thing I really don't like about that tank is the vent/return hard line near the filler, the original one is soldered in place and that solder breaks loose, on the tank I am working with I am going to replace this with something much stronger and shorter which will then allow me to run a hose back up to the filler area.

I'm glad I used the search feature. This thread answered my questions about whether I could use standard '67 B-Body gas tank in my '67 Coronet 440 Wagon.

Hello all, I am in search of a fuel sending unit for the 70 coronet wagon or (so I think). The original sweep was beat. Since not having one I took a new unit for a 71 B body, removed the sending unit itself and connected to 70 tubing. (trying something to see if it would work). Fuel flows just fine, but gage now does not register at all (at leaset it read empty before, now nothing). I've gone through the grounding aspects...that seems fine. Did the test light trick and that sems good too. Technically it should work...right? Is there something else that could be preventing the guage from not function? Any test for that? Your thoughts greatly appreciated. thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back