• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam for a stock 318

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. Just got my 67 Fury 3 wagon back from the bodyshop. All the little rot holes are fixed and they blended the paint really good. Next is to freshen up a 75 318 because the original motor has issues that I really don't feel like waiting on a machine shop to hold me up for months. It's a good motor plus it has the unleaded heads. We are going to do oil, water and fuel pumps, freeze plugs and go to a beefier timing chain. Also going to do a new cam and lifters.

This is just going to be a basically stock engine for cruises and the occasional collectible show where I fill the back with stuff to sell. We will also tow our tiny camper from time to time. I want decent gas mileage so I am staying with a 2 barrel.
1st question, What do you all recommend for a good timing chain?

2nd question, what's a good cam for better torque on a stock engine? Not looking for any high performance, just a good driver.

Thanks all.

For what you are doing the stock cam is fine. You won’t see much difference. For torque you want short LSA with those small valves and short duration with little overlap which the stock cam basically is. Crank up the compression and better heads then things will change a little.

Last edited:
With exhaust manifolds, single exhaust, and 2-bbl intake, the engine is more flow restricted than by the cam.
Dual exhaust and 4-bbl intake and carb helps even with the stock cam.

A kit like Comp Cams 252/252, (206/206 @ 0.050") Lift .425/.425 will work. Summit lists this kit with timing chain for $34 more than the cam and lifter set without timing chain.
Stock springs should be OK, if they are not worn out. Might be able to shim springs for more seat pressure if needed?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk20-208-2/make/chrysler

The small summit cam be OK too (not in stock)?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k6900/make/chrysler

I used an Edelbrock Performer cam in my 318 LA many years ago. Coupled with headers and a dual exhaust, but keeping the 2 barrel carb, it made a huge difference...up to 4,500 rpm. Might be perfect for your application.

When I later added an Edelbrock Performer intake and 600 Holley there was another big gain, and an extra 1,000 rpm.

For timing chains, I think Cloyes or Rollmaster, something decent. If it's something that you want to install and forget, then it's always worth paying a little more for good quality.

If the stock intake/carb/exhaust will be retained..... just use a stock cam.

I had a 75 Fury Wagon 30 years ago.
De-smogged it, recurved distributor, free flowing muffler, factory high stall converter...... was kinda peppy.
Way better than it was totally stock...... which was pretty unsatisfying.

I rebuilt the original 904 trans and installed at Transgo kit at that time.
It had part throttle kick-down, which worked very well with the small motor and big heavy car.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I'll go with the stock cam and Cloyes double roller timing chain.

That's not what the wife and I are doing with it. I have other projects to liven up. This one is staying stock. I will add dual exhaust but that's about it.

The small Lunati Voodoo does a great job of building compression, and therefore torque..have you done the math? Piston depth? Head cc? to get a true compression number? The small voodoo(700) is good from 7-8:1 CR. The next bigger one(701) is good 8-9:1 CR. The next one (702) above 9...and so on. Makes great power, nice little rumble, and a modern design (Howard Burkshire designed it)
I have the 702 in a 8.75:1 318 with Eddie heads/headers/airgap/AVS2 650/ 2200 stall 904 with 3.23 gears...and it does surprise quite a few unsuspecting victims..

Also i have found them in the jungle for under 100 bucks.
Or you could just get an adjustable timing set and advance the stocker 4 degrees...it will make power but peter out by 4000 rpm.
YMMV.

Auto Transport Service
Back