• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam Options for 408 Stroker

rt-man

Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
Please provide your camshaft recommendations.

Going in to my '73 SSP. LA block, Hughes LA style Indy X heads, Edelbrock Performer 318/360 intake, 1970 340 HP exh manifolds. I have a Carter 750cfm AVS carb that I'd like to use. Need enough vacuum for PS, PB. Looking for a mild performer around town, torque monster when I stomp on the accelerator. Internals will be a Hughes 408 stroker kit, targeting 9.5:1 CR.

Thanks much.

Call Hughes have them set you up with a cam and valve springs

Going in to my '73 SSP. LA block, Hughes LA style Indy X heads, Edelbrock Performer 318/360 intake, 1970 340 HP exh manifolds. I have a Carter 750cfm AVS carb that I'd like to use. Need enough vacuum for PS, PB. Looking for a mild performer around town, torque monster when I stomp on the accelerator. Internals will be a Hughes 408 stroker kit, targeting 9.5:1 CR.
Sorry to ask this but I need some clarification on;

What is a SSP?
Are the Indy X heads ported?
Do you intended to use a stock converter? Or is this a 4spd car?
What is the gear ratio & tire size

Sorry to ask this but I need some clarification on;

What is a SSP?
Are the Indy X heads ported?
Do you intended to use a stock converter? Or is this a 4spd car?
What is the gear ratio & tire size

Satellite Sebring Plus
Heads will be ported by Hughes
different converter (360 torque converter MP P4876877)
3.21 gear, 215/60-15

Thanks for asking

Satellite Sebring Plus
Heads will be ported by Hughes
different converter (360 torque converter MP P4876877)
3.21 gear, 215/60-15

Thanks for asking
If your heads are getting ported by Hughes why wouldn't you have them grind you a cam? One stop shop

What's making you go with 9.5 & not 10.5:1 ? I 2nd giving Hughes a call and would very strongly recommend calling bullit cams and speaking with Lang lee, he's super knowledgable ........also your best bet would be a hydraulic roller probably on a 112 lsa with a 236 / 242 duration and maybe low 5xx lift . . . . I'm no cam expert by any means but Lang lee from bullet cams is a wizard .

IF! The engine is already built, going to a roller cam will require disassembly for oil galley mods.

What's making you go with 9.5 & not 10.5:1 ? I 2nd giving Hughes a call and would very strongly recommend calling bullit cams and speaking with Lang lee, he's super knowledgable ........also your best bet would be a hydraulic roller probably on a 112 lsa with a 236 / 242 duration and maybe low 5xx lift . . . . I'm no cam expert by any means but Lang lee from bullet cams is a wizard .

Slightly more than a beer budget, but not much more. Hydraulic flat tappet, iron heads fall in the budget. Aluminum heads and roller cam are for someone else.

And I don't want to go down the rat hole of "If you're gonna do a stroker motor, then go for the full gusto or don't go at all." Thanks

I got ya. I would still give Lang Lee a call and get his recommendation on a hydraulic flat tappet for your combo
Slightly more than a beer budget, but not much more. Hydraulic flat tappet, iron heads fall in the budget. Aluminum heads and roller cam are for someone else.

And I don't want to go down the rat hole of "If you're gonna do a stroker motor, then go for the full gusto or don't go at all." Thanks

LOL @ "mild" cam specs!

Rt-man, I hear ya loud and clear! Well prepared iron heads and a good Hyd. cam can go far.

Thanks much.
The combination of power brakes and exh manifolds says custom grind to me. Give Duane Porter a call at Porter Racing Heads. He's in northern VT.

Auto Transport Service
Back