• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam question's

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
So I looked over the old forum on this subject and was not sure. Here is what I have a 383 B motor in a runner. Going to use the original manifolds that came on the car. Have a mid high rise with a 650 Holley four barrel. The motor is probably a 68 production motor. It was bored 30 over but now it might be bigger like 40 over. Due to another rebuild is going on. Any way's running a A833 transmission and 3:55 gears in the rear. Came up with this combination from Jeg's. Lift 464/464 Lobe separation 110 degree Duration 268/276. So that is where I am at. Not looking for a drag car just a driver with a little More power. Was looking to get that 335 hp this motor should put out. Appreciate the help. Blue.

That sounds similar to the Comp 21-305-4 magnum/6pack grind.

Kinda sounds like the original "Magnum" cam, doesn't it?

You really need to verify the compression ratio of your pistons. Advertised piston compression ratios can be misleading. Almost every 383 piston available for the past 40 years has a lower compression ratio than the original 68-69 pistons. Some are a lot lower. If the motor is in rebuild now, you need to get the piston part number and verify the compression distance. You don't want to miss this opportunity.

Thanks to all this is information that will be help full. Now it is up to the machine shop to tell me if and what the bore will be. Hope the block is able to be used and not too much over bore. Just to say know the more you bore the less metal in the jug. So they tend to run hotter. Will see what they come up with. Blue69Runner

That is the cam they offered for the motor. So spot on.
I'm running that same cam in my freshly rebuilt .030+ 440. Very smooth idle and pulls great. Good cam for mainly street use. Got the comp lifters as a set and use nothing but VR1 since break in.

Last edited:
I'm running that same cam in my fresly rebuilt .030+ 440. Very smooth idle and pulls great. Good cam for mainly street use. Got the comp lifters as a set and use nothing but VR1 since break in.
thanks for the info. Good to here some one else is using that cam. Think it will meet my need's.

Auto Transport Service
Back