• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam selection for 1970 383

Ariovistus

Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
A friend has a 1970 383 he wants to build for his 70 Plymouth Satellite. He has factory intake with 906 heads and basically 9.1 compression. A friend sold him a Mopar Performance 440 six pack cam with 268/284 duration ( 228/ 241 @ .050) and 450/458 lift. When He took the motor to the shop, the engine builder told him he actually had an RV cam with 212/ 226@ 050 duration and 450/458 lift. He was very disappointed. The Engine builder got him a Comp Cams 21-006-5 Cam with 267/284 Duration( 227/ 241 @.050) with 486/ 473 lift. Will the extra lift cause the engine to be less streetable? Which cam is better for His otherwise stock application? Appreciate Your guidance on this. He is running a 750 cfm carb 727 b torqueflite auto trans, a 3.55 rear end and factory exhaust. Appreciate Your guidance on this.

That's still relatively mild. IF that motor started life as a 383 2bbl, I might use a 650 or 700 cfm carb to keep good throttle response. With factory pistons and no head milling his compression might measure out to 8.7:1 or so.

Thank You Demonic. It is an original 383 335 HP Motor. He is running 0.30 over Wiseco Forged Pistons with Valve reliefs. I believe he is planning to use a Vacuum Secondary 700 or 750 Carb. Appreciate You assistance.

The engine builder chose a good cam. You might want to increase your compression using a thinner head gasket or slight mill on the heads. Those 906 heads list an 88cc chamber volume. 440'

He originally wanted to Use the Road Runner cam. But His friend gave him an RV cam by mistake. It was in the Mopar Performance Box! So the Shop got the Comp cams Version. The Engine Builder used to work for Crane Cams and He ground many Mopar Performance Cams. so My Friend trusts His Judgement. It's getting More difficult to find a Cam closer to stock with these modern cam profiles. I appreciate Your thoughts on this. Thank You.

He originally wanted to Use the Road Runner cam. But His friend gave him an RV cam by mistake. It was in the Mopar Performance Box! Thank You.

If only I had known that as you didn't say that!!

No Worries! He just hopes the Comp Cam higher lift ( 486/ 473) over the (450/458)does not make the Satellite less streetable. He had a sidewalk superintendent ( a know it all) tell him he should have run the RV cam because it will burn the fuel more completely.

Auto Transport Service
Back